Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Sunday

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Lucky Sunday

So I'm stacking wood on the rack beside the wood stove when the phone rings. It's my SIL who wonders if I'd like some fresh Specks as he's on his way back from a very successful morning trip. Well of course I will, right on Allan. So he comes up the driveway and I go out to meet him on the front walkway. He hands me 4 10 -12" beauties and we chat for a bit. Then as he's about to leave I notice this light brown blob on a lilac branch 10 ft away. WTH? So I walk over closer and it's a Saw Whet owl sitting on the end of a cut branch, so cool. I run in the house to grab my camera and Al pulls out his cell phone. Well I knew they were pretty tame but I had no idea how much. I grab some pics and then decide to see how close I could get. Well I get within touching distance and it just sits there opening his eyes the odd time. Well just so happens I had taken some squirrel out for a snack so I go back in the house and cut a strip off to see if the owl would take it. I put it on a stick and hold it out 6 inches in front of it. No reaction so I move it in even closer and he spooks and flies 5 feet away on to a spruce branch beside the house. So I put the strip of meat on a branch below him, he looks at it and ignores it. Then I go back and grab my camera again and take a few more pics and the last one through the kitchen window when I go back in. No idea how long it was there but it's still there an hour later not even paying attention to all the birds around as I have my feeders right there. And all the chickadees aren't even worried and have no fear being 3 ft away from it. So cool, made my day. Turns out they only eat small mammals

IMG_1121.jpgIMG_1122.jpgIMG_1123.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1124.jpg
    Smitty

Straight shooter

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

A few more pics after it flew to the other tree. Times like this when I wish I had a real good camera.

IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like he's taking a Nap, all fluffed up and the eyes 1/2 closed...has that look...wondering WTH you're doing HaHa..
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Really cool encounter and the pics look great!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Cool story. I had a similar experience yesterday. The wife and daughter were walking home from the store when my daughter texted me, "look out the door on the deck there's an owl" (they seen it land there). Well I just happened to have the camera right there in front of me and got 3 good pics of it from 10 feet before it flew away. I was able to identify it as Barred Owl thanks to Justin Hoffman's thread I tried to upload the pics on it but was unsuccessful. I didn't get any speckies but as a consolation I got peanut butter cups.LOL
    Last edited by WillieBeno; February 21st, 2021 at 04:03 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Really cool...............Innocence right there....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I could care less about the quality of the photos, just the fact that you actually saw one and were able to get up close and personal would be enough... The photos by the way were great but the experience must have been far greater...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Right on, nice pics.
    My favourite Owl.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

And the owl says-Can i just carry on with my beauty sleep?
    Thanx for posting.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bo D View Post
    I could care less about the quality of the photos, just the fact that you actually saw one and were able to get up close and personal would be enough... The photos by the way were great but the experience must have been far greater...
    You're right Bo, it made my day for sure. I literally could have reached out and touched it.

Mike yea it was mostly sleeping it seemed, as they hunt at night. I would make noise on purpose, the eyes would open for a bit and then close again. I have a feeling it was there from overnight as with all the seeds on the ground from two feeders there's always small rodents around. It moved to three different close by branch nubs over a couple of hours and when I checked again around 4 it was gone. Very cool, I was so amazed at how tame it was, totally unconcerned with me.

As for the pics, I was happy enough with some of them considering it was just a Canon Powershot, had to make sure I stayed with the optical zoom and not get into the digital one. No comparison to some of the photos posted by the true photographers here but I'm still happy.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast