Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot tent hare adventure.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Set up a bunch of snares, you will never out shoot snares. lol
    Rabbits move a lot at night.
    Looks like a great trip, beautiful dog. Been a while since I did winter camping. The old man 3 star always made it a good night sleep. I would watch those heaters, not exactly healthy to breath that.
    Thanks for the advice! I set up a total of 17 snares. Seems like they just weren't moving that much. I'd have more success probably if I had the energy to snowshoe further from camp every day to set more up on more active trails lol.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Sounds like the perfect trip! Those buddy heaters work amazing, I'm too chicken to leave it on overnight but I usually don't camp this time of year. I like your setup.

Did you guys hike very far with your equipment? Or could you get your vehicle pretty close?
    We hiked around 1km from the road (which wasn't much of a road) down what looks to be an old ATV trail that isn't used in the winter at all. So we weren't unreasonably far from the car although the hike back dragging stuff was brutal lol.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Not sure I could do that but does look awesome
    Dog is amazing....
    I guess you cooked up the rabbit?
    Looks like a good time
    Haha they're my buddy's dog. We also had this guy there with us. Screenshot_20210223_212131.jpg
    Too bad they weren't too useful when it came to dragging sleds LOL.
    Yup. We cooked the rabbit up. Cubed up some deer and slow cooked it in a pan with some onions and laughing cow cheese.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Sound like a fun adventure. I've been watching alot of hot tent vids lately....I'd like to do it on a back lake I know of for specs.
    One piece of advice I'd say is a summer tent with a large heavy tarp works wonders for insulation. All the condensation stays on the tarp. You can also put a mylar tarp inside along the door/exposed side to completely insulate the tent.
    Also those foam puzzle squares on the floor worked wonders as well. Made the ground stable and insulated it well enough to walk bare foot on and to leave water bottles on the ground without them freezing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Looks like a great time. Any grouse sightings?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    One piece of advice I'd say is a summer tent with a large heavy tarp works wonders for insulation. All the condensation stays on the tarp. You can also put a mylar tarp inside along the door/exposed side to completely insulate the tent.
    Also those foam puzzle squares on the floor worked wonders as well. Made the ground stable and insulated it well enough to walk bare foot on and to leave water bottles on the ground without them freezing.
    Right on...thanks for the tips. I've been looking at some portable fold down wood stoves, with the chimney. I use those foam squares for my ice fishing hut...they're great....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I set up a total of 17 snares. Seems like they just weren't moving that much. I'd have more success probably if I had the energy to snowshoe further from camp every day to set more up on more active trails lol.
    That’s lots of snares. If they were out running you would of got more fore sure. Darn critters never follow the script. Haha. It’s never a sure thing....
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    That’s lots of snares. If they were out running you would of got more fore sure. Darn critters never follow the script. Haha. It’s never a sure thing....
    Yeah the trails really didn't seem as active as I thought they were. There never seemed to be more than 1-3 sets of tracks on a given trail I was snaring. There were probably only 3 passing through there to begin with. I hiked further and found some more active trails but it was 1km from camp which would be a pain to snowshoe that far every day to check snares haha. Guess I should though next time.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    Looks like a great time. Any grouse sightings?
    Nah no grouse sightings or even signs. However I always see grouse in the 55A, 42, and 49. Wasn't season for them anyways unfortunately lol.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I was up at my camp just south of sudbury last week. Set 5 snares one morning on some active spots. Got one hare the next day along with a couple cm of snow. Then there was not a fresh track for the next 4 days. There were tracks everywhere, but apparently they just stopped moving for some reason. I never saw a grouse or a grouse track and covered a lot of ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast