Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: New carp regulations

  1. #11
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    First off why do you think they increased the number of rods being used from 2 - 3. Carp are an invasive species and in my way of thinking they want to get rid of them or at least thin out their numbers. How many on here actually target carp as a game fish. I would think not many.
    Serious carp anglers invest heavy duty money in specialized equipment, i.e. rods and reels to pursue what they call a superb game fish. Have any of you seen or watched a carp tournament. These guys are dedicated anglers to their sport and way of fishing.
    Some years ago the rod and reel manufacturers tried getting anglers involved in the carp fishery hoping it would catch on but to no avail. If you've ever hooked into one you'll have to agree they are a powerful fighting fish yet again there aren't too many anglers that target them on a regular basis.
    Just don't and can't understand why you guys are throwing this 2 - 3 rod increase around when more than likely less than 1 percent of the anglers in this province target carp on a regular basis... As mentioned they are an invasive fish and when they move up shallow at certain times of the year ruin spawning habitat for numerous other fish that are edible and palatable, unlike a carp where most use them for garden fertilizer...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Why do you say that? I don't see any regulation changes for bow fishing....or am I missing something?
    This is the beginning to the end .....carp will take on a sport fishing status ....which means an end to bowfishing .
    Glen

  4. #13
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    How do you figure? Or should I say "assume". I've never targeted carp, but after reading the article, my first thought was, "maybe I'll throw a corn rod out this spring while I'm targeting wallies".
    I thought it would be nice to do the same thing as well. One carp rod and one casting rod. The regulations say both rod baits need to plant based, and I don't see myself casting something plant based.

  5. #14
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    OK maybe a slight off-track but mentioned further down in the same press release is "A new selective harvest system and point-based moose allocation process to support sustainable populations and provide a fairer system for moose hunters", without stating the new system's details.




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  6. #15
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    OK I think I found it.
    Some will like it others not so much.
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/points-b...cation-process




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  7. #16
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    OK I think I found it.
    Some will like it others not so much.
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/points-b...cation-process
    Yes. Theres fairly lengthy discussion about this on the hunting board. Its been long coming.

  8. #17
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G Skinner View Post
    This is the beginning to the end .....carp will take on a sport fishing status ....which means an end to bowfishing .
    Glen
    I can't see it ever ending. Once the Carp population explodes and Asian Carp take hold (as they invariably will),OMNRF will be begging for bow hunters to take them out.
    If you're too big to do the little things that count,you're too little to do the big things that really count.

  9. #18
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I can't see it ever ending. Once the Carp population explodes and Asian Carp take hold (as they invariably will),OMNRF will be begging for bow hunters to take them out.
    Or maybe opening any caught fish (carp) being able to be sold without license.
    They were brought here as a food source. (Not for me though).
    Beyond that market, the agricultural feed and fertilizer market would have a use for them.
    Last edited by Woodsman; March 2nd, 2021 at 11:49 PM.




    _____________________________________
    Living proof that "beer builds better bellies".

  10. #19
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I am an avid carp fisherman. You would have to be a lunatic to confuse a carp angler as targeting another species.
    Worthy of note, Carp are indeed edible (I have, yumm), Rainbow and Brown trout are as foreign to Ontario as carp and aggressively compete against native Brook trout in Great Lakes tributary headwaters.
    Bowfishing will never put a dent in the carp population of any waterbody and you are only feeding your ego by killing them that way. Taking them home to plant under a rosebush is laughable and although I may be wrong I dont think many bowfishers lug a haul of carp "miracle grow" home
    I realize my comments won't sit well with most but are truthful and based on my experience.

  11. #20
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by contaucreek View Post
    I am an avid carp fisherman. You would have to be a lunatic to confuse a carp angler as targeting another species.
    Worthy of note, Carp are indeed edible (I have, yumm), Rainbow and Brown trout are as foreign to Ontario as carp and aggressively compete against native Brook trout in Great Lakes tributary headwaters.
    Bowfishing will never put a dent in the carp population of any waterbody and you are only feeding your ego by killing them that way. Taking them home to plant under a rosebush is laughable and although I may be wrong I dont think many bowfishers lug a haul of carp "miracle grow" home
    I realize my comments won't sit well with most but are truthful and based on my experience.
    Carp are,indeed,quite tasty. Taken with a bow,a lot of good meat is ruined,though,if proper angling heads aren't used. When I was a kid,some buddies thought it would be smart to chop them up and bury in their parents gardens until an army of Rats and Raccoons descended on the gardens. Parents were not amused. They didn't do that anymore. South of the Great Lakes along the tributaries of New York,Ohio,Michigan,Wisconsin and Illinois,a tourist industry has popped up where angling outfitters take clients bow fishing for Asian Carp that has turned out to be very successful. Leave it to American entrepeneurship to figure out how to make huge profits from a bad invasive species.
    If you're too big to do the little things that count,you're too little to do the big things that really count.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •