Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm confusion

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Question 9mm confusion

I was finishing something up and listening off screen and this caught my ear. Minimizing windows, finding the tab that is playing... and

At the 9 minute mark they are talking about the 9mm Makarov (actually a 9.3), I remember someone saying they wanted to get a 9.3 (not sure which one) 57 or 62 or either but using the rifle as a gallery gun with the 9 mm Makarov ammo might be the solution to the price. Atleast for plinking.

Anyone have a 9.3 rifle and use the Makarov ammo to plink or for .... rabbits? I don't know, I just remembered someone said it awhile back and thought I would post this and ask... anyone done it? and lived. Did you hit anything with it? Might be real limited in the range or it might be like a 357 or 44 in a rifle where the performance change is noticeable.

Curious :-)
    Last edited by mosquito; February 25th, 2021 at 12:40 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well the 9mm Makarov would just slide into the case of a 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 rifles, they are bottle neck and the makarov is a straight walled rimless case.

You could use bullets from the makarov loaded into a 9.3 rifle case but no idea what load you could use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Well the 9mm Makarov would just slide into the case of a 9.3x57 or 9.3x62 rifles, they are bottle neck and the makarov is a straight walled rimless case.

You could use bullets from the makarov loaded into a 9.3 rifle case but no idea what load you could use.
    Thinking about it now that I have had a coffee perhaps that is what they meant. I was trying to focus on the work and for some reason I was thinking straight cased ammo at that moment. I don't want to get one but that puzzled me regardless and thought I would ask.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Thinking about it now that I have had a coffee perhaps that is what they meant. I was trying to focus on the work and for some reason I was thinking straight cased ammo at that moment. I don't want to get one but that puzzled me regardless and thought I would ask.
    Would be similar to loading 357 and 38 special bullets in the 35 whelen but I have not heard of it being done for any 9.3mm cartridges so no idea how you would develop a load, unless you went with a case full or trail boss. The 35 whelen does have data for 357 pistol bullets in some manuals, so at least there is a starting point there.

User Info Menu

Would be similar to loading 357 and 38 special bullets in the 35 whelen but I have not heard of it being done for any 9.3mm cartridges so no idea how you would develop a load, unless you went with a case full or trail boss. The 35 whelen does have data for 357 pistol bullets in some manuals, so at least there is a starting point there.
    I hadn't heard of that either, something to look at if I have nothing to do.... or just want to avoid what I do have to do. :-)

There is too much to do and too little time as it is and I don't have anything in the 4 calibres mentioned so bigger priorities.

Was it you that was talking about getting the 9.3 rifle?, They have the 57 and 62s at Trade Exchange I saw.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    I hadn't heard of that either, something to look at if I have nothing to do.... or just want to avoid what I do have to do. :-)

There is too much to do and too little time as it is and I don't have anything in the 4 calibres mentioned so bigger priorities.

Was it you that was talking about getting the 9.3 rifle?, They have the 57 and 62s at Trade Exchange I saw.
    No, I want a 35 whelen though and there were a lot of people telling me just to go buy a 9.3x62 but the idea behind the whelen is to be able to download for small game with the pistol bullets, load to nice deer hunting numbers with a 35 remington bullet and load a 250gr at max loading for big moose and bear and even a bison hunt my friend wants me to come on with him.

User Info Menu

No, I want a 35 whelen though and there were a lot of people telling me just to go buy a 9.3x62 but the idea behind the whelen is to be able to download for small game with the pistol bullets, load to nice deer hunting numbers with a 35 remington bullet and load a 250gr at max loading for big moose and bear and even a bison hunt my friend wants me to come on with him.
    Good luck, I thought I remembered someone saying they wanted to get a 9.3 rifle, ah well, the ones that did the 9mm confusion did some on .22 and other calibres that were interesting to listen to also.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I just picked up a 9.3x57 at trade-ex. I always thought this would be a nice bear round. Now I just have to find ammo for it. lol
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

User Info Menu

Sat down to have a tea and listen to something, .... spotted this.

The Mystery of the 9.3

Even does some comparisons to the 35 Whelen.
    Last edited by mosquito; February 28th, 2021 at 10:43 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I just picked up a 9.3x57 at trade-ex. I always thought this would be a nice bear round. Now I just have to find ammo for it. lol
    Good luck, the 9.3x62 is available but the x57 is very tough, I looked into a pile of this when I decided a 35 whelen was a better option for me.

The problem with the 9.3x57 is that the lighter bullets are almost impossible to find, the 9.3x62 bullets are quite heavy for that case size, I could not find load data for it either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast