Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do grouse eat rocks?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thumbup Why do grouse eat rocks?

Why do grouse eat rocks?

To help the gizzard do its job, birds are frequently seen along roadsides picking up grit like sand and small stones that function like teeth. These 'teeth' collect in the gizzard, a muscular part of a bird's stomach used to grind up and pulverize food.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Yup and for a tasty treat you should try eating the gizzards yourself as they are quite tasty.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Just had myself a big feed of heart and gizzard stew yesterday. The last of the years duck....

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

And in the winter when gravel isn't available they'll eat wintergreen and cornus canadensis (Canadian bunchberry) for the seeds. These seeds then replace the work that gravel does in digesting their winter foods. Just more useless info to be stored away.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Wintergreen can also be considered medicinal because of the oils in the leaves.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

"Just more useless info to be stored away"

I disagree with you sawbill !

For new hunters this information will be useful in the way to know where and what time to look for Grouse on hunting trips ...

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    And in the winter when gravel isn't available they'll eat wintergreen and cornus canadensis (Canadian bunchberry) for the seeds. These seeds then replace the work that gravel does in digesting their winter foods. Just more useless info to be stored away.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    "Just more useless info to be stored away"

I disagree with you sawbill !

For new hunters this information will be useful in the way to know where and what time to look for Grouse on hunting trips ...
    I can see your point with that but also disagree to an extent.

New hunters should be less concerned about road hunting for grouse and more concerned about being in the woods learning to find quarry any time of day.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

It's funny because I've often wondered what they do once the snow covers all the gravel. Now I'll have to find some other thing to wonder about while I'm wandering the woods....

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

"And in the winter when gravel isn't available ..."

" when gravel isn't available " where going to find Bunchberries ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In pine stands where there is not the snow amounts on the ground you would find in hardwoods. It's less because it gets caught up in the boughs then evaporates over time. Grouse bury themselves in the snow and I've known them to stay for up to 3 days in one spot while a storm dissipates.Take a grouse late in the fall and their crops are full of seeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast