Thread: Laker tasted great!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Laker tasted great!

Having never fished for lake trout before and hearing some say they are not good eating, I was not certain what to expect of the 20-incher I took from a Muskoka-area lake. However, I baked it and it tasted amazing! Even my fish picky family enjoyed it! I found the meat light (not oily at all) and neither bland nor strong tasting.

So educate me on why lake trout get the bad rep? For example, does it depend on size, water body, cooking method, cooking timing (I always find freshly cooked fish better tasting than the ones I dig out of my freezer), something else?

Thanks!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I eat Carp, so should not comment lol
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They can be very fishy tasting depending on their diet. If they eat smelt for instance, a large one will have a visible fat line that needs to be trimmed.

Usually this is only a problem in 5+ pound fish. I've never had a bad tasting laker under that size, and I've eaten hundreds of them over my life.

I ate a small one from Lake Rosseau the this past weekend. Flour+seasoning+oil and a fish fresh from the lake was absolutely outstanding.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

All the lakers I catch from Lake of Bays have always tasted great never had a bad tasting laker.
    The way you cooked yours is one of my favorite ways to cook them also try wrapping them in foil with butter and onions and seasoning to your likening.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My first love is lake trout fishing and through the years have caught and eaten many from a variety of waters in the north. There's lakes I won't even go to because the fish are too fatty or fishy tasting. As BS has said, its all about their diet. I've picked up a lot through that time and can now catch a laker and fairly accurately look at it and tell you how it'll taste. If the belly is snow white, the flanks are a silvery or greenish shade, the fins have that nice red/ivory leading edge then you have a fish with bright red or bright orange meat and decent tasting. If the fish has a gray or muddy colored belly its been grubbing in the mud, if the sides are yellow or black its been into the mud or feeding on fatty species such as smelt. I've caught them totally black, belly, sides and back. The flesh of that fish will be a pale yellow or even white and will taste like crap. Often the tail flesh will be a translucent shade, high in fat content. Horrible tasting stuff.
    There's a few things you can do to help improve the taste though. Cut that white strip off the belly of your fillet, trim the fatty gray strip that runs along the top of the fillet (along the dorsal fin) and after skinning, scrape off that gray strip of fat that follows along the lateral line. The other thing, try not to store a laker for any length of time. Even if frozen in a bag of water the fat throughout the flesh will become rancid and give you an off-taste. I think lakers will always be a better smoked fish than fried in a pan. But fresh caught, red or orange meat is darn good table fare at any time.
    Last edited by sawbill; March 4th, 2021 at 01:57 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

People that yell you that lake trout aren't good eating just want less guys out 9n their laker holes. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I've caught approx 15 this year...and have eaten 4 of them. All 16-20" ers'. I catch them in a stocked lake, and the meat is a beautiful dark orange....they've been delicious....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I find laker's can be good or bad.
    If the meat is orange it will be far better. Usually smaller younger fish. Eating plankton.
    Larger fish with a fish food base will be a whiter meat colour.
    Nowhere as good eating.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I would not have described the meat as orange, but salt, lemon-pepper, butter, onions and lemons baked in foil at 350 deg for 35-40 min made for great eating

Trout.jpg
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-