Thread: Saturday morning...Small ugly coyote

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Saturday morning...Small ugly coyote

Got to the farm at first light... Went back to the same place I shot one about a month ago... Setup in just about the same location. After about 5 minutes or so of calling I look over my left shoulder and there is a coyote making his way to my caller/decoy.
    The snow level has decreased significantly over the past 2 weeks making walking a lot easier but much more noisy as the remaining snow is all crusty.
    As I try to reposition myself, the crusty snow gives me away, he turns and starts running away. I lift my gun off the shooting sticks, take the first shot miss....Try and line him up again, miss number 2, now I have to get up and move around some brush for the final shot and I think it's a hit. I see him sputter and loose balance. He runs off and I loose sight of him....
    I collect my gear and go for a walk... At first I could not find anything but after retracing my steps I find the first signs of blood.... I followed the blood trail for about 250 yds before finding him piled up along the edge of the bush...
    A bit lucky and a bit proud as that 3rd shot was a standing, off hand rifle shot at over 250 yds on a running coyote, not an easy thing to do... I definitely hit him too far back but must have hit a main artery. He had the beginning sign of mange (rat like tail) so had to leave him behind......

How it played out

The blood trail

The find

The pose
    Last edited by fratri; March 6th, 2021 at 10:44 AM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Google maps tells me it was closer to a 230 yd shot
    Last edited by fratri; March 7th, 2021 at 10:58 AM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

WTG thats a nice shot even if it was a little back. Too bad about the mange. Thanks for posting, love reading your coyote hunting posts.
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice job on that last shot. Long way for offhand shooting!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

WTG Frank, nice shooting again, that is a long shot freehand