Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Captured a ghost.....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Captured a ghost.....Update with wall hanger Pics

Often talked about but seldom seen....Her she is.....

Got to the farm and setup by 5:10 pm.... Plan was to try a few howls and some rabbit distress sounds.... Started off with a couple howls, then went to rabbit distress... after about 10 minutes went to some more howls....then back to rabbit distress sounds.... At about the 15 minutes mark I spot a big black object in the distance on top of that hill that was not there before.
    I see it move, its a coyote about 400 yds out looking in my direction.... It sits and just hangs out there looking but not really coming toward me... I lower the volume, change sounds, increase the volume, change sounds again, then finally after 5 minutes she starts making a beeline toward me. My heart starts racing as it looks like I am going to get a chance at my first ghost, the all illusive black coyote......
    Now it is hard to see/tell from the picture but the caller and decoy is on my side of the big hill, the coyote can`t see the decoy or caller from where she is....
    So as I loose sight of the coyote at about 200 yds (she slips to the bottom of the rolling hill in the field) I move my shooting sticks and rotate myself in position. She should pop up on my side of the hill and give me a 70 yd shot.... But after what seemed like forever but probable 1 minute in reality, I spot her walking away. Not sure why she decided not to crest the hill but I figure it is now or never. I yell out a loud Wolf sound. She stops angling up the hill. I take the 220yd shot and she drops....Turned out to be a nice high shoulder neck hit anchoring her in her tracks....
    Not a really big coyote but one of the most beautiful coyotes I have ever laid eyes on....
    The setup

How it played out

The pose1

All skinned out
    Last edited by fratri; February 7th, 2021 at 12:59 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Often talked about but seldom seen....Her she is.....

Got to the farm and setup by 5:10 pm.... Plan was to try a few howls and some rabbit distress sounds.... Started off with a couple howls, then went to rabbit distress... after about 10 minutes went to some more howls....then back to rabbit distress sounds.... At about the 15 minutes mark I spot a big black object in the distance on top of that hill that was not there before.
    I see it move, its a coyote about 400 yds out looking in my direction.... It sits and just hangs out there looking but not really coming toward me... I lower the volume, change sounds, increase the volume, change sounds again, then finally after 5 minutes she starts making a beeline toward me. My heart starts racing as it looks like I am going to get a chance at my first ghost, the all illusive black coyote......
    Now it is hard to see/tell from the picture but the caller and decoy is on my side of the big hill, the coyote can`t see the decoy or caller from where she is....
    So as I loose sight of the coyote at about 200 yds (she slips to the bottom of the rolling hill in the field) I move my shooting sticks and rotate myself in position. She should pop up on my side of the hill and give me a 70 yd shot.... But after what seemed like forever but probable 1 minute in reality, I spot her walking away. Not sure why she decided not to crest the hill but I figure it is now or never. I yell out a loud Wolf sound. She stops angling up the hill. I take the 220yd shot and she drops....Turned out to be a nice high shoulder neck hit anchoring her in her tracks....
    Not a really big coyote but one of the most beautiful coyotes I have ever laid eyes on....
    The setup

How it played out

The pose1

All skinned out
    Very nice ! I’ve seen really dark ones, but none that black !!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No way! What a beauty. I'm jealous ha CONGRATS!.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Awesome work nice looking one for sure.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

She looks just like my dog lol very cool to get a rare one.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice one!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Great job and great story, gives us all a chance too learn on how you do it.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Amazing!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats, wicked looking animal

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

What a color on that coyote....., amazing! And a great story again.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast