Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    Almost everything gets preserved at my place. Jams, pickling, blanched and frozen, dried or turned into sauce and canned. For us it’s easier this way..
    That's pretty well what we do here also. Wife and I did a back road tour just yesterday checking out the choke cherries and apples at our secret picking spots. Shaping up for a good year so far? We plan to do a trip to Wawa this year for Blueberries. I'm thinking wine, jam and jelly for them if the picking is good.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Well it’s the beginning of Japanese beetle season here. I’ve easily gotten rid of over 100 in the last week. They’re loving my cherry, apricot and nectarine trees, but a new one for me is the fact they are eating up my apple trees too. So far not many on my raspberries or grapes.

Anyone else have this pest problem? What works to control them? I’ve just been collecting them in a bucket with soapy water.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How long did those trees take to produce? Are they dwarfs, semi dwarfs or full size?
    Try and get some diazinon or sevin from a farmer to spray for them

Well it’s the beginning of Japanese beetle season here. I’ve easily gotten rid of over 100 in the last week. They’re loving my cherry, apricot and nectarine trees, but a new one for me is the fact they are eating up my apple trees too. So far not many on my raspberries or grapes.

Anyone else have this pest problem? What works to control them? I’ve just been collecting them in a bucket with soapy water.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    How long did those trees take to produce? Are they dwarfs, semi dwarfs or full size?
    Try and get some diazinon or sevin from a farmer to spray for them
    They’re semi-dwarfs. I bought them from a local nursery. They were fairly tall and in 10gallon pots. I planted them last year, they are currently about 6-8ft tall. Pears and apples currently have a modest amount of fruit, though I’ll probably have to take some fruit off to protect the branches. Apricots and nectarine haven’t produced yet. Out of 3 cherry trees, we only got a pint worth of fruit.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Your in New market. Where did you buy them? If you don't mind my asking what did you pay for them. When do you expect them to produce? I had heard dwarfs produce quicker but their difficult to find. Semi dwarfs I think 5 years I'm very interested in the apricots and cherries?

I would like to also find high bush cranberries, yum cranberry wine.

I shouldn't have put planting off for 15 years. Running out of time now.

They’re semi-dwarfs. I bought them from a local nursery. They were fairly tall and in 10gallon pots. I planted them last year, they are currently about 6-8ft tall. Pears and apples currently have a modest amount of fruit, though I’ll probably have to take some fruit off to protect the branches. Apricots and nectarine haven’t produced yet. Out of 3 cherry trees, we only got a pint worth of fruit.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I got them at the Bradford Greenhouse Gallery. They cost $60-80 a tree. I’m no longer in Newmarket. We moved last year. But at that house we had an apple, pear and cherry. It took 4 years to harvest a good amount of fruit. The apple and pear both produced one bushel each and the cherry produced a generous few baskets.

It’s never too late to try fruit trees. Just be mindful of the varieties and your growing zone. To be honest, the apricot is more of an experiment. They are quite finicky in the spring and very susceptible to frosts.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

LOL, I procrastinate took me 15 years to get around to putting in the blueberry and Haskap plants.
    They seem to be doing OK I really should have put in 5 of each instead of 3. I will buy 2 more of each next Spring.
    I have room for 2 fruit trees. Already have a Pear tree and 2 apples.

I got them at the Bradford Greenhouse Gallery. They cost $60-80 a tree. I’m no longer in Newmarket. We moved last year. But at that house we had an apple, pear and cherry. It took 4 years to harvest a good amount of fruit. The apple and pear both produced one bushel each and the cherry produced a generous few baskets.

It’s never too late to try fruit trees. Just be mindful of the varieties and your growing zone. To be honest, the apricot is more of an experiment. They are quite finicky in the spring and very susceptible to frosts.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Another garden update.

This last month has been crazy. The tomatoes are endless. We have been preserving them, eating them and giving away lots. Incredible yields, I’ve picked about 3 bushels and am confident to get another 3 before frost. The eggplant are a pleasant surprise, they did quite well. I’ve grown about a bushel or so and pickled a good amount for the fall and winter.

Peppers, both hot and sweet, are coming along nicely. I personally like shepherd peppers they’re great producers. This summers heat really helped them along. Unfortunately my cucumbers were not so happy. We grew English and pickling cucumbers. We got a few, but for the most part they were not gaining any traction.

Zucchini and squashes are doing well. We’ve grilled a bunch of zucchini’s and my wife has been experimenting with loafs and muffins (mixed results). The acorn, and butternuts are soon ready to pick.

Beans have been plentiful, but they always are. Anyone can grow lots of beans.

Our onions didn’t bulb up as big as I had hoped. We did get some big ones, but many medium and small ones.

I’m excited for the first few frosts when I start to pick carrots and parsnip. They’re looking great.

Herbs have done incredibly well and we have been able to pick and dry enough for the colder months.

My fall plantings of peas, beets, lettuces, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and turnips are looking really healthy. I’m hoping to harvest again mid October or later, if the weather cooperates.

3B6DAE63-F4F9-4564-91DC-502A7DE10925.jpeg
    70839879-1505-4F57-8557-BF2715F20138.jpg
    36A06F9A-FC8D-4CDD-9352-A2D2D1755A29.jpg

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great produce........and beautiful garden to boot BB.Very professional looking too.

Must be a real investment building this up.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Another garden update.

This last month has been crazy. The tomatoes are endless. We have been preserving them, eating them and giving away lots. Incredible yields, I’ve picked about 3 bushels and am confident to get another 3 before frost. The eggplant are a pleasant surprise, they did quite well. I’ve grown about a bushel or so and pickled a good amount for the fall and winter.

Peppers, both hot and sweet, are coming along nicely. I personally like shepherd peppers they’re great producers. This summers heat really helped them along. Unfortunately my cucumbers were not so happy. We grew English and pickling cucumbers. We got a few, but for the most part they were not gaining any traction.

Zucchini and squashes are doing well. We’ve grilled a bunch of zucchini’s and my wife has been experimenting with loafs and muffins (mixed results). The acorn, and butternuts are soon ready to pick.

Beans have been plentiful, but they always are. Anyone can grow lots of beans.

Our onions didn’t bulb up as big as I had hoped. We did get some big ones, but many medium and small ones.

I’m excited for the first few frosts when I start to pick carrots and parsnip. They’re looking great.

Herbs have done incredibly well and we have been able to pick and dry enough for the colder months.

My fall plantings of peas, beets, lettuces, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and turnips are looking really healthy. I’m hoping to harvest again mid October or later, if the weather cooperates.

3B6DAE63-F4F9-4564-91DC-502A7DE10925.jpeg
    70839879-1505-4F57-8557-BF2715F20138.jpg
    36A06F9A-FC8D-4CDD-9352-A2D2D1755A29.jpg
    Very nice results and those boxes are the way to go. I do not water at all in my food plot garden so the beans never even got started. I planted a few tomato plants and did produce some but I did water them, I only had six. The garlic did real good with nice big bulbs and I got the usual 350lbs of potatoes, I just seeded the whole area for the food plot with radish, parnips. Did not put in any turnips as I had a hard time finding table turnip seeds in the store. Hoping apples and corn will do the trick.