Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are perch numbers down on Simcoe?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

You'd have to view recent data for fish consumption guides. I'd be surprised if contaminants weren't elevated over previous levels as it's a double-whammy biomagnification step added to the food chain eg. zebras filter everything and gobies have a zebra rich diet. Some of those big jumbos are 10-15 yrs old, so cummulative intake over years might add up.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I didn't get to Lake Simcoe this winter to ice fish but have been a regular on the ice for the past 25 years and have not noticed a decline in quality or quantity of perch. That lake never disappoints me. I fished Cook's Bay out of my boat last November 5th and had the best day ever in size and numbers. My two friends who fished with me that day agreed. I can't wait till I can get the boat back in the water and try my luck there again, hopefully by mid April.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Maybe these guys are fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IkelblcLKA LOL its a slow Sunday I had to post something.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They need to initiate better limits and
    implement a slot size to protect prime spawners from excessive harvest.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    They need to initiate better limits and
    implement a slot size to protect prime spawners from excessive harvest.
    Tell me how people know what prime spawners are. Those large fish have already spawned a number of times and the smaller ones you want us to keep already have the "large fish" genes. Let them grow to spawn instead. 13-14 inch perch are at the end of their life cycle.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very good point. That's why you are called a fisherman and I'm not. I remember living in Port Stanley during the 1950s. Perch were abundant. Now you pay a fortune to buy 3 perch at the market there. What went wrong?
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Plus a slot size has the potential to kill them in the deeper water when their airbladder blows. When I fish deep I always have a 3 inch bait or bigger down to keep the little ones off.

Lower limits would be alright for the locals could jeopardize the out of towners . Maybe a pail of 50 for the weekend could be alright. I cleaned up 7 perch last ice got 1.4 pounds of clean meat off them.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Very good point. That's why you are called a fisherman and I'm not. I remember living in Port Stanley during the 1950s. Perch were abundant. Now you pay a fortune to buy 3 perch at the market there. What went wrong?
    I don't think there's really anything wrong, I tend to believe that fish adapt to their surroundings and move to where there's more food, oxygen, etc. Years ago it would be unheard of to catch a perch in 80-90 feet of water, even a couple sm bass were caught in that depth. It seems to be more common now. Zebra mussels, and who knows what else is causing the change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12