Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alberta government proposing new $30 annual random camping permits this year

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Alberta government proposing new $30 annual random camping permits this year

Can't believe it. Won't be long before it happens in Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...year-1.5954254

Money would go to conservation efforts in public land use zones still to be determined

Michelle Bellefontaine · CBC News · Posted: Mar 18, 2021 6:00 AM MT | Last Updated: March 18

Public lands across Alberta are seeing an influx of users, leaving more garbage and concerns about trespassing. (Wallis Snowdon/CBC)The Alberta government plans to introduce a $30 annual fee this spring for people who random camp on public lands.
    Environment and Parks Minister Jason Nixon confirmed on Tuesday that legislation will be introduced shortly to implement the fee, which was promised in the United Conservative Party's 2019 election platform.
    "You get $30 a year to random camp as many nights you want in the West Country with all of the revenue going back toward conservation in those areas," Nixon told reporters at the Alberta legislature. "It will roll out this year as promised."
    The ministry is still determining whether the annual fee will apply to public lands across the province or just in areas with the heaviest use. The province will likely exempt Indigenous Albertans from having to get a permit.
    With some conditions, people in Alberta can camp for free in public land use zones — which is known as random or dispersed camping.

Last summer, Alberta saw an upswing in the popularity of camping on both public land and traditional campsites due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Higher numbers placed demands on public lands, which generally lack amenities like pit toilets, waste collection and fire pits offered at traditional campsites.
    Areas in the Bighorn area of the eastern slopes, which were proposed to become provincial parks under the previous NDP government, have been hit particularly hard.
    A report by the Alberta Environment Bighorn Backcountry Standing Committee from June 2020 found the areas were overrun with users. Some campers cut live trees for firewood, overran areas with new ATV trails and left garbage and human waste behind.
    Day use fees?

Nixon says new fees, including increases of $1 to $3 for sites in campgrounds, are necessary to pay for the parks system. He says these funds help pay for 40 per cent of the parks system; the remainder comes from general revenues.
    "We've heard loud and clear from Albertans that they're comfortable with modest fees when it comes to the recreation activities on crown lands and on our parks, as long as it's going back toward conservation," Nixon said.
    The $30 random camping fee came up on Monday during a review of the budget estimates for Environment and Parks.
    Under questioning by Edmonton-Gold Bar MLA Marlin Schmidt, the NDP Opposition critic for environment and parks, Nixon said his ministry is looking at other fees.

He said a recent consultation with parks users suggested people weren't opposed to paying modest user fees as long as the money goes back to the system.
    "Depending on user access and what the numbers are, the Alberta government will continue to look at user fees, including new user fees that I haven't identified today, to be able to make sure our parks system can operate fully," Nixon said.
    Schmidt said Nixon plans to start charging Albertans for access to day-use areas of provincial parks.
    "I asked the environment minister if he could commit to not imposing new day fees on Alberta families enjoying our public parks," Schmidt said. "And he said there would be new fees."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like this is the new government norm.... When they can think of a way to make us pay, they do..... Sad times ahead for most of us for sure... Maybe we should be camping in the City instead...

City of Toronto secures space in hotels for every person living in 4 'priority' encampment sites
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/city-toronto-secures-hotel-space-every-person-four-priority-encampents-1.5952510
    Last edited by fratri; March 19th, 2021 at 06:31 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

several years ago I posted on the forum for a joke a list of ways the government could make more money going after small groups and charging user fees or other license fees. This was one of them, maybe the Alberta Government saw it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I’m sure this is just the beginning !
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Heck, I just renewed a $14 permit so that I can enjoy a bonfire in my backyard (when there is no continuous fire bans in effect)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What's a fire permit. Here we are allowed a Social Fire. I just have big ones,

I have a burning pit 4X6 ft, have to dig it out this year kinda getting full going to dig down 3 ft and go 4X8 I like big fires of course I only burn in spring, fall and just before it rains, sometimes when it rains, I also keep the hose nearby. When I prune my tree's I fill the truck no problem and have a few Manitoba Maples to cut, crab to prune and a Apple tree to prune, so about 3 pickups should be good for 3 fires.

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    Heck, I just renewed a $14 permit so that I can enjoy a bonfire in my backyard (when there is no continuous fire bans in effect)

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I’m sure this is just the beginning !

You're right when they find a new way to milk the cow, it not long before they take full advantage of it. It will be a bit like the resident fishing license here in Ontario, in beginning it had a humble cost, but look what it cost is now.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm sure this will go over well out there

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think a person has to remember that there is no provincial tax in Alberta. I'd rather pay $30 for an annual fee, than a tax on everything I buy?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I think a person has to remember that there is no provincial tax in Alberta. I'd rather pay $30 for an annual fee, than a tax on everything I buy?
    That's a good point...a lot of Alberta (like New hampshire) is 'user fee' based. You use a service, you pay for it.

I don't agree with the this:
    The province will likely exempt Indigenous Albertans from having to get a permit.
    If they use it for recreational (not sustenance) and it's not on Treaty land...then they should pay the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast