Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring Bear hunt season is almost here

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Good advice species.
    My camp is also 30-40 min from town. If its not - Celsius at night I debone it at the camp and put in coolers with ice and then bring it to town and place it in a spare fridge to cut it up the next day. I don’t fool around with any wild meat when it’s warm. I won’t even bother hunting if it’s crazy hot, just not worth it IMO.
    I know guys in the boonies that run freezers with generators in a trailer. Just park it in the shade and cover with a tarp if needed. Good Luck.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Anyone ever had an issues freezing scraps/meat, thawing then grinding for sausages at a later date? Presumably to be frozen again?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Anyone ever had an issues freezing scraps/meat, thawing then grinding for sausages at a later date? Presumably to be frozen again?
    Done it with both bear and venison. Seemed fine. I couldn't taste any difference. That being said my palette is not that discriminating.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I had 3 butchers in the past 25 years, two of them would not entertain doing fresh venison to sausage. Just because they were both busy-I will call You when I can fit you in, and do your sausage.
    Delivered to them eventually the frozen meat cubes ,and they did the sausage.
    They both did smoked sausage for me,to boot.Which is in great need to dry out,and essentially a raw meat.

I hang dried them for weeks ,after they were smoked. End of Nov -mostly Dec .Allways hanging in the garage for 1-2 weeks ,prior getting them into the freezer.
    Never ever an issue.
    Heck -i once got a whole moose hind leg frozen, de thawed it in the fridge ,slowly. When it was semi thawed ,sliced it up in pieces to my liking, and re froze the stuff. Never an issue.

Not advocating to anyone, but i also have harvested 2 time bear on the afternoon ,gutted promptly.Left it lifted from the ground ,in its hide ,well till next morning.
    Then the bear was processed(skinned,deboned and packaged away in the freezer)
    The temp. were both ocassion single shirt temps......but the nights were cool..............
    Last edited by gbk; March 23rd, 2021 at 03:42 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    I had 3 butchers in the past 25 years, two of them would not entertain doing fresh venison to sausage. Just because they were both busy-I will call You when I can fit you in, and do your sausage.
    Delivered the frozen meat cubes ,they did the sausage. They both did smoked sausage for me,hang dried for weeks after they were smoked. Never ever an issue.
    Ya, I've seen it done with venison.

But everyone says bear is just different.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I do it all the time whenever I shoot multiple large game. I found the best way is to freeze meat chunks in those 25 lb. margarine tubs. Pack the meat in there tightly then put butcher paper on top. No problem with freezer burn meat, my butcher loves it.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Worse the bugs the better the hunt. I lived on a fly-in res 200K north of Pickle Lake for 2 years so i know what's coming.
    where you going?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Talked to my grandfather yesterday about when we're going to start the bait up. Im going to try and make a concerted effort to hunt this spring. I can swing a few evenings a week in the stand and a couple Sat/Suns. My biggest issue is what the heck to do with it until I can get it butchered. Taking a day off work is simply not an option. Warm weather and fresh meat makes me nervous.
    Our Bear hunting spot is 8hrs from home.
    We have a freezer full of ice where we stay.
    When we get a bear down on the afternoon hunt we immediately gut it and stuff the cavity with ice. Next day quarter it and in a cooler it goes on ice.
    I head home with the meat as soon as it's on ice. Never an issue with our meat.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymjt View Post
    where you going?
    NW of Lake Nipigon. Inside Wabakimi.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Soon as dandelion is out here south I am going to fly north ...

2063c000c343cb13daa5c52c3aec4ffc.jpg
    Last edited by alfoldivandor; April 13th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123