Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for someone to help

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Wow, thank you to everybody for giving me some advice on this year’s turkey hunt. Thank you Mosquito for recommending me those sites, I have a better idea now on what type of gun would be good for the hunt at a reasonable price. I was seeing guns that were double the prices at other stores.
    From all the comments, I have decided to educate myself more by listening to those podcasts that were mentioned by Cameracutter. Thank you Bowjob, deerhunter, Ata83 and CDN008 for encouraging me to just go out and explore what there is to offer with crown land. I actually really like the Lanark area but will have to check more closely with crown land areas. I will also get a turkey call box this weekend so my son and myself can practice. Thank you Genec for reminding me of getting a hub blind as I forgot how good turkey eyes are and I am going to check those Canadian Tire flyers for cheap camo gear. Finally, thank you smitty55 for the recommendation of Longbeardguiding- He was able to get in touch with me about prices but still waiting to see on what dates he has available. I also got some quotes from other guides and the prices were insane such as $750 for the day and I still had to bring my own gun. With those prices I could get my own gear and go multiple times. I saw some prices before covid 19 and most were $150 for the day and now that has doubled and most outfitters didn’t even reply to my e-mails.
    I guess this will be a journey that will be self taught and thank you to all for helping me out. I will let all of you know later if this year was a success. Maybe, I will still get that person who is willing to take us out and spark a light to make us want to go out every year.
    Scott

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    You are going to have to learn ONE major lesson for any turkey hunting...you must sit totally, completely STILL!!
    Toughest thing for beginners to overcome is the movement. ANY small movements at all will give you away to any turkey within sight.
    Best advice I can give you when starting out is buy a hub blind, which will help block the movements that beginners make...and wear a black hoodie and face mask when inside it to hide you....anything lighter than that will give your movements away.
    Good advice even for us old timers.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Just get out where and when you can and learn through your mistakes and near successes.

Don't get too hung up on calling, decoys, gear, etc. All you really need is a place to park your butt comfortably, a property choked shotgun and ammo (brass bead for sights is fine, turkeys hit the ground when it's light enough to see generally speaking). A box call is a good way to start, play with mouth calls too, they're nice for having hands free. With a child, your best bet is to invest in a hub blind.

A good spot makes for more success than exceptional skills, although exceptional skills will increase your success when birds are scarce.

It took me quite a few years to get my first turkey, mostly messing around on public land and having a few close encounters with wary birds, but now if I play my cards right I can usually get at least one bird per season depending on time.

Just keep looking, this site is pretty friendly overall. Make a few friends and acquaintances here and someone will take you out to learn the ropes.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GW11; March 28th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Movement as busted more hunts than anything else. When you want to move to another spot because you talked yourself into it stay put for a bit longer.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    Movement as busted more hunts than anything else. When you want to move to another spot because you talked yourself into it stay put for a bit longer.
    Ya I remember scratching my nose one time, friggin Turkey at 500 feet turned around and hightailed it out of there.. it was coming straight for me before that. Lol
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12