Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moose points are out per WMU start planing the Moose hunt ...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer View Post
    To the OP there is no subtraction/addition/multiplication/division that a person can do to figure out a point value needed...it’s just not possible. I don’t have the time to explain how the system is designed to work but there is tons of literature and information to explain it. Tons of variables such as where guys apply, tag numbers etc which will change on a yearly basis.

Anyway the system will work and the guys that have been unsuccessful the longest will reap the benefits under this new system all in good time, that is the fairest process you can ask for....
    Actually there is.
    Simply apply the same logic they expect to apply in the future to last years application data.
    It will be as accurate for 2021 as it will be in 2022, 2023....
    The only unknown is how hunters will choose to apply. Will it be different this year from last?
    I'd bet it won't be that different.
    And at least it would be some information, which would be more useful than no information.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Actually there is.
    Simply apply the same logic they expect to apply in the future to last years application data.
    It will be as accurate for 2021 as it will be in 2022, 2023....
    The only unknown is how hunters will choose to apply. Will it be different this year from last?
    I'd bet it won't be that different.
    And at least it would be some information, which would be more useful than no information.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The biggest variable for me is the calf tag quota. Is it going to be a legitimate quota, or is it going to be so flooded as to not really matter?

Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Ive got 13 points and will be applying in 49. Two other people in my party do as well. Im not sure if anyone in our group has more then that.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    The most anyone could have is 23 because they went back to 1998. Obviously,that would mean someone applied every year from then until now and has never received a tag. That's not really beyond the realm of possibility by any stretch,the system was that bad.
    Not exactly correct. One person in our camp has 26 and another 23 points. Its been verified, and it goes back to 1993

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

If the system was that bad I would not have a tag every second or third year ...

The most anyone could have is 23 because they went back to 1998. Obviously,that would mean someone applied every year from then until now and has never received a tag. That's not really beyond the realm of possibility by any stretch,the system was that bad.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeezer View Post
    Not exactly correct. One person in our camp has 26 and another 23 points. Its been verified, and it goes back to 1993
    1993 was the start date published by MNRF. Too bad your guy with 26 points will only get one tag for that...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Here are the 2021 Moose Quotas:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/moose-tag-quotas

We are a camp of 10 hunters. The member with the most points is 13 going into this years draw. Going to be interesting how this plays out in WMU 53.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    The biggest variable for me is the calf tag quota. Is it going to be a legitimate quota, or is it going to be so flooded as to not really matter?

Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Ive got 13 points and will be applying in 49. Two other people in my party do as well. Im not sure if anyone in our group has more then that.
    We'll see how many hunters want to invest in the time and energy to open the camp to party hunt a calf,only,if only one member is awarded a tag. It hardly seems worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeezer View Post
    My mistake. I can't blame fat fingers for that one. It won't help our crew. In WMU 50,there's only a total of 64 tags to be issued.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We'll see how many hunters want to invest in the time and energy to open the camp to party hunt a calf,only,if only one member is awarded a tag. It hardly seems worth the effort.

My mistake. I can't blame fat fingers for that one. It won't help our crew. In WMU 50,there's only a total of 64 tags to be issued.
    That's what the MNRF thought when they cut back the tags in 55B.
    Cut back on the adult tags and the guys will stop hunting which will protect the calves.
    It doesn't work that way. A lot of guys hunted with only calf tags for the last 15 years or so.
    That is why that area and 48 had the draw for calf tags introduced.

55A/55B/48 might not be typical of the province though. Most of the hunters live in the area and have established camps there.
    Not a big deal to head up to the camp for a few days.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    That's what the MNRF thought when they cut back the tags in 55B.
    Cut back on the adult tags and the guys will stop hunting which will protect the calves.
    It doesn't work that way. A lot of guys hunted with only calf tags for the last 15 years or so.
    That is why that area and 48 had the draw for calf tags introduced.

55A/55B/48 might not be typical of the province though. Most of the hunters live in the area and have established camps there.
    Not a big deal to head up to the camp for a few days.
    Some of our guys tell me,tonight, they'll take Bear tags and shotguns for birds. They still want to go for the whole week. I'm in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast