Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ask a C/O, spring time training

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Finally someone who has asked the right question.
    If a woodcock hasn't been flushed has it been "hunted"
    So, it doesn't even register with you that you're on the wrong side of the issue in this discussion?
    Hence my original question about the appropriateness of the original thread on this Forum.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

As someone who enjoys hunting and fishing, I am always "hunting" when out in the woods all year, whether looking for sheds, traffic patterns of deer in the spring, new habitat in a changing landscape, transition areas and such. Just about anything that might help raise my odds of future harvests is on the agenda. Is looking at satellite views of a new area hunting? Some would say yes.
    The defining point would probably be does it impact a species, and by how much. Who decides the amount of disturbance if any should be allowed. If there is a zero tolerance policy then no person should be allowed into an area from snow melt until late summer to fully protect an at risk species. It is a slippery slope and there are going to be different opinions fueled by how it helps an individual fulfill his goals. There is no blanket correct answer and as long as it is legal to do can only be governed by your own moral compass.
    John

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Last time we did this was 2018. At that time I was told by MNRF I could apply for an authorization to train with chukar at any time of the year as there is no closed season for chukar.

I dont gte the debate around using live grouse or woodcock to train in the spring. Who in their right mind would think that is legal?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Last time we did this was 2018. At that time I was told by MNRF I could apply for an authorization to train with chukar at any time of the year as there is no closed season for chukar.
    That seems odd back in 2014 regs changed to allow up to 10 chuckers to be released without any authorization needed. Don't know why the MNRF would tell you to apply for an application to train unless you were going to release more than 10?
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/release-...g-private-land
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

From Section 1 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act:

“hunting” includes,
    (a) lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of, pursuing, chasing or shooting at wildlife, whether or not the wildlife is killed, injured, captured or harassed, or
    (b) capturing or harassing wildlife,
    except that “hunting” does not include,
    (c) trapping, or
    (d) lying in wait for, searching for, being on the trail of or pursuing wildlife for a purpose other than attempting to kill, injure, capture or harass it, unless the wildlife is killed, injured, captured or harassed as a result

During nesting season - most CO's would likely be comfortable laying a charge based on the "harassed" term in the definition of hunting. It would be quite easy to explain in court that birds nest in the spring, and that the potential harm to nesting species exists during this time of year. I would have no problem laying this charge and let the defendant try to explain otherwise. Spring training? Wait until later. Leave the birds alone.
    *Also* Trying to prove your purpose was not to intend any harassment of wildlife would be a very very steep uphill climb in court and likely would be futile.
    Last edited by Moosehead; May 1st, 2021 at 06:55 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    That seems odd back in 2014 regs changed to allow up to 10 chuckers to be released without any authorization needed. Don't know why the MNRF would tell you to apply for an application to train unless you were going to release more than 10?
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/release-...g-private-land
    Ya. Re-reading the email I think I misread it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123