Thread: What to do with Small Bass

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default What to do with Small Bass

Hello everyone,

I'm working on culling bass from an overcrowded private pond. I will be keeping lots of bass in the 4-10" range, meaning the small ones are really tiny. I like to fillet the larger ones, but am looking for some ideas on what to do with the little ones. I was thinking of making dog food by gutting them and blending them, but I really like the taste of these small largemouth, so any ideas on how to prepare very small fish would be appreciated. Does anyone know a way to get all the meat off the small bones (not filleting) in order to make fish cakes or something similar? As in just getting actual flesh but it can be all separated.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: to clarify, this is a pond on my property that has no outflow or connection to any other water bodies. I personally stock it and regular fishing regulations do not apply.
    Last edited by AdamG1; April 10th, 2021 at 01:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Scale them, gut and take the heads off. Roll them in flour and pan fry. The meat will flake away from the bones.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Scale them, gut and take the heads off. Roll them in flour and pan fry. The meat will flake away from the bones.
    Thank you. I will definitely do that with some of them.