Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda outboards, your opinion

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Honda outboards, your opinion

Boat shopping, and Id like your opinion on modern Honda outboards. They are the one brand I have very little experience with.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I’ve heard good things about them, like all things Honda, by I spend a ton of time on the water, and I see very few out there.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Boat shopping, and Id like your opinion on modern Honda outboards. They are the one brand I have very little experience with.

Thanks
    Buddy has new one (30hp-4stroke) that he put on an older 16' Princecraft backtroller that's a sweet unit,but,it cost a small fortune. I put a new Mercury 25hp-4-stroke on my older PF16 Misty River that works just as well for $2K less.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I had the '96 25 hp when they first came out, excellent motor, gave it to my son 20 years later and then he sold it for a bigger boat with a 50 Honda. No issues with it and it probably had 3000 hrs on it. Only reason I went to a Yamaha this time, Honda could not get me a 40 tiller at the time and it didn't have the electric idle control.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

40hp

5 years old now.
    Runs great, is easy on gas. One blown fuse, and one blown impeller.

No complaints/regrets
    Last edited by JBen; May 23rd, 2021 at 03:44 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Buddy has new one (30hp-4stroke) that he put on an older 16' Princecraft backtroller that's a sweet unit,but,it cost a small fortune. I put a new Mercury 25hp-4-stroke on my older PF16 Misty River that works just as well for $2K less.
    I have had bad experiences with Mercs. I wish you well with yours. The pricing options on a new package are about $1k difference on a 50hp so I think I may go that route

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    I had the '96 25 hp when they first came out, excellent motor, gave it to my son 20 years later and then he sold it for a bigger boat with a 50 Honda. No issues with it and it probably had 3000 hrs on it. Only reason I went to a Yamaha this time, Honda could not get me a 40 tiller at the time and it didn't have the electric idle control.
    I run Yamaha at work. I've got 50, 115, and 150hp units and they are superb. They are run hard but maintained properly and never miss a beat, except for things that are operator error.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I’ll throw my 2cents in here. We were dead set on a Honda 30hp, so we get too the dealer (Honda/Suzuki) And the salesman tells us the Suzuki 4 stroke is much better then the Honda 4 stroke we wanted...and was cheaper...$ Have a look at the Suzuki motors you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    I run Yamaha at work. I've got 50, 115, and 150hp units and they are superb. They are run hard but maintained properly and never miss a beat, except for things that are operator error.
    Sounds like the answer to your question ....I’d go with the motor you are familiar with !! Tons of Yamahas out on the water !!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Sounds like the answer to your question ....I’d go with the motor you are familiar with !! Tons of Yamahas out on the water !!
    Ideally yes. But you can save some real bucks in the package going with what the dealer has. The dealer as far as I know has Mercs and Hondas. Ive not heard a bad thing about Hondas outboards, and I do have real faith in their other products (Ive got a Honda genny and a Honda vehicle).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast