Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.9 vs 15hp extra costs (insurance, registration)

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 9.9 vs 15hp extra costs (insurance, registration)

I have an old handed down 14 foot aluminum, given years ago by an uncle.
    Looking at replacing the old 9.9 rather than rebuilding and finding parts for the '87 Yamaha.
    Debating between getting the 9.9hp or 15hp Honda.

I am still unclear on insurance rules and registration.
    Debating if the few extra horse power is worth the extra insurance cost and hassle.

What is the cost to register? I heard is about $350 to register a boat with no previous ownership info.

More curious about the insurance. What is a normal annual insurance amount for a 15 hp on a cheap aluminum?
    My insurance company knows of my aluminum with a 9.9 so I have some coverage.
    Yet, I don't have a insurance certificate with my plan to have as proof of insurance.
    I am sure this would be extra premium to pay.

I will likely call my insurance this week to ask about price difference for hp difference and premium difference to receive proof of coverage.
    One Shot = One Kill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Extra question.
    Need to have proof of registration and insurance if 10hp or more.
    Do not need if 9.9hp or less.

Does a 9.9 with an electric troll count as being over 10hp if both are attached, or only if both are running at same time.
    One Shot = One Kill

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I sent away for registration numbers on my 14 footer, bill of sale for $1 from my uncle and my numbers came in the mail free of charge. You require registration numbers on any engine 10hp or greater which is the reason for the 9.9 in the first place.

I don't think there's any law to make insurance mandatory on a boat although it's a good idea. My house insurance policy covers boats up to 50HP at no extra charge.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You don't need to insure a boat unless you want to or if you lease a boat slip, they usually want your boat insured

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
    I have an old handed down 14 foot aluminum, given years ago by an uncle.
    Looking at replacing the old 9.9 rather than rebuilding and finding parts for the '87 Yamaha.
    Debating between getting the 9.9hp or 15hp Honda.

I am still unclear on insurance rules and registration.
    Debating if the few extra horse power is worth the extra insurance cost and hassle.

What is the cost to register? I heard is about $350 to register a boat with no previous ownership info.

More curious about the insurance. What is a normal annual insurance amount for a 15 hp on a cheap aluminum?
    My insurance company knows of my aluminum with a 9.9 so I have some coverage.
    Yet, I don't have a insurance certificate with my plan to have as proof of insurance.
    I am sure this would be extra premium to pay.

I will likely call my insurance this week to ask about price difference for hp difference and premium difference to receive proof of coverage.
    A Honda or Mercury 15HP four stroke is hard to beat even though they're a tad pricey. The last I heard,boat registrations can be done on-line with Transport Canada. Check on their website. Insurance for your boat isn't really necessary,but,it's wise to put PL and PD on,at least, just in case you accidently run into another boat while docking or launching. Inadvertently crack the gel coat on a high end water craft and the damage can be very expensive to repair. I have an "all peril" coverage on mine for $2M PL&PD,comprehensive,theft and fire. The total cost annually is $289. I think it's worth ever penny.
    Last edited by trimmer21; April 10th, 2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I just renewed my registration at no cost, on line. It’s good for 10 years. As far as insurance, there’s no requirement, thus no proof of insurance required, unless as previously mentioned, you have your boat moored in a marina. They may require insurance.
    I pay a little over $300.00 for my 18 ft aluminum and 75 tiller, all perils and replacement coverage. As Trimmer said, it’s a good idea !
    As litigious as society has gone, I won’t go without insurance coverage.
    Last edited by rick_iles; April 10th, 2021 at 03:45 PM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I thought with evinrudes the 9.9 and 15hp are same motor, just bigger carb on the 15hp.

So you buy 9.9 decals and put them on the 15hp cover lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    I thought with evinrudes the 9.9 and 15hp are same motor, just bigger carb on the 15hp.

So you buy 9.9 decals and put them on the 15hp cover lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    That's true for the older 2 strokes, carb and exhaust tube. Not sure about newer. Decals are pretty easy too lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider is the size of your boat. If its just a regular runabout and you usually travel with one other person then the 9.9 will be good enough. If on the other hand your 14 ft is a deep and wide then I'd go with the 15 hp. Once up on plane you can throttle back and use about the same fuel as a 9.9.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

No one ever has bought a 15hp and wished they bought the 9.9 instead.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast