Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading bullet tips

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Reloading bullet tips

Hello all, I'm posting this question just to be sure from what I understand, I'm running low on 180gr and 165gr for my 30-06 and have a hard time finding the original Sierra bullets that I made loads with, if I switch to Hornady, nosler or another brand (none FMJ) but a hunting tip i should be good to just follow my previous load or are there adjustments needed to be made??

Thank for your time and reply.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pair88 View Post
    Hello all, I'm posting this question just to be sure from what I understand, I'm running low on 180gr and 165gr for my 30-06 and have a hard time finding the original Sierra bullets that I made loads with, if I switch to Hornady, nosler or another brand (none FMJ) but a hunting tip i should be good to just follow my previous load or are there adjustments needed to be made??

What you seem to be asking: Does my load data work the same for any brand of bullet head I use?
    I would suggest that it should, you might find slight shifts in your point of impact do to variation in the + and - of the bullet weight, unless, of course, you are using match bullets. If you have a set of scales you can see what I mean, the 180 grain or the 165 grain is more less the average weight of any bullet heads in the bag or box. Some could be a couple grains higher others a couple grains lower than the stated weight. Sometime the strength of their jacket can vary, which may influence their rate expansion, again it is a manufacturer thing, but the bullet weights will usually remain within the specific tolerance of what ever is stamped on the box. When I cast batches of bullets I may use 180 grain mold, but I can have variations in the batch depending how uniform the mixture of lead, tin and antimony. In a further batch the tin content maybe a bit low and the lead a bit high. The higher the lead content over the tin, the bullets could round out to 180 + with lead being a denser element than tin, If the tin is higher the bullets could be 180 -. Regardless they are all going to be load with the same 180 grain load data. As well I may have to make a slight adjustment to my sights, with respect to each of the batches.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old be cause you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; April 9th, 2021 at 07:37 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

The answer depends on what you intend to achieve. Substituting a bullet of the same weight from a different manufacturer is generally safe, but you should not expect the same point of impact or level of accuracy. If you tuned the previous load to give you MOA or less, switching the bullet probably won't give you that without at least some tweaking. When I switch bullets, I plan on redeveloping the load from scratch. In my experience, it is pretty rare to not have to do this.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    The answer depends on what you intend to achieve. Substituting a bullet of the same weight from a different manufacturer is generally safe, but you should not expect the same point of impact or level of accuracy. If you tuned the previous load to give you MOA or less, switching the bullet probably won't give you that without at least some tweaking. When I switch bullets, I plan on redeveloping the load from scratch. In my experience, it is pretty rare to not have to do this.
    Their gonna be mostly for hunting, so if I end up 1inch off while hunting its not gonna be crazy off I would be lucky to get 100 yard shot where I hunt, from what both of you are saying is that it shouldn't make a huge difference I won't end up way off to lunch off by 10inches switching bullet tip manufacturers with same weight???

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Their gonna be mostly for hunting, so if I end up 1inch off while hunting its not gonna be crazy off I would be lucky to get 100 yard shot where I hunt, from what both of you are saying is that it shouldn't make a huge difference I won't end up way off to lunch off by 10inches switching bullet tip manufacturers with same weight???
    I would not fire at game without verifying the effect first by shooting some targets. For me, being off by 3" at 100 yards when shooting from a good rest is not acceptable, and that can happen by switching bullets, even of the same weight.
    What I was saying in my original response was that it is probably safe to use the same load when switching to a different bullet of the same weight, but even that could be questionable depending on where you are in the load range, or the type of bullet. You should plan to redevelop the load before using it for hunting, and possibly before even firing the rifle. For example, if you were at max load using a coated bullet or a bullet with something like the grooved shank on certain Barnes bullets, then you switch to a bullet without these properties, you could end up in a dangerous situation.
    Last edited by rf2; April 9th, 2021 at 10:53 AM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    I would not fire at game without verifying the effect first by shooting some targets. For me, being off by 3" at 100 yards when shooting from a good rest is not acceptable, and that can easily happen by switching bullets, even of the same weight.
    Ok, thank you when I switch up to new tips ill make a few up and double check zero

Apprentice

User Info Menu

the seating depth will change.. as well. make sure to check... if your not measuring chamber depth make sure you do not go over recommended over all cartridge length

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I would suggest that you start with the minimum load and work your way back up. This is a standard safety rule but will also help you find the best load configuration for that particular bullet. Some guns shoot different bullets better than others. Hopefully all goes well and that you don’t have to switch powders.

Go to the bullet manufacturer’s website. They will likely have load data for your bullet with some different powder combinations.

I get excellent results with 180 grain Nosler Partition (protected point & spitzer) powered by 58 - 62 grains of Reloader 22 powder... 3/4” groups and dead critters!
    Last edited by Sam Menard; April 9th, 2021 at 12:15 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You have to build your load back up. You can have totally different bullet designs internally, this can change the pressure.

What Sierra bullet are you looking for?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Ok, thank you when I switch up to new tips ill make a few up and double check zero
    Bullets are bullets, which are the thing that exits your barrel. A loaded round is a cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast