Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you grease/oil your reels?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Do you grease/oil your reels?

I just clued in that I have had fishing gear for 40 years and haven't done any maintenance other than change line.
    None of my friends grease or oil their reels either, when I started to ask.
    25 to 40 year old reels are still working just as well as ever.
    Haven't bothered to file hooks either, just replace broken/bent hooks.

Does anyone do grease/oil maintenance on their reels?
    If so, what frequency and do you feel the benefit from it?
    One Shot = One Kill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Never I always buy a new one every couple of years and keep them rotating. Same with the ice rods just keep replacing them.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My Penns get grease and oil before each season and depending on the amount of use I give them, I'll probably do one oiling just prior to the fall. As for my spinning reels, they don't seem to need the maintenance that the trolling reels do.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I usually do it around now, while getting hyped up about walleye opener. Last year I picked up a little file to keep with my pliers. I got into a bit of a habit of touching up hooks. I find it really helped with my topwater hookups.....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Every winter I wipe down my reels, re-line the ones that need it and oil/grease moving parts. Does not take long at all.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Maybe when I am allowed to enter Cabela's again, I think I will buy some reel grease and oil.
    I You-tubed how to maintain the spinning reels, so interested to try.
    Tonight I will You-tube how to do a Baitcaster.

Hooks, I will think about if I want to continue to just replace dull/bent hooks with upgraded versions, or to buy a hook sharpener.
    Sharpening hooks sounds like a mid winter, from the couch on the coffee table, project.
    One Shot = One Kill

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've been playing around with my boat inside the garage for the last couple weeks. I've been re organizing where I store all my equipment and trying to get better at using my Helix. I am a little frustrated with it, I'm not very good with any sort of electronics. I just bought the Lake Master Ontario V2 chip so I have to figure out how that works too. What I didn't mind doing was wiping down all my rods and reels. My baitcasters, spinning reels and line counter reels all got a bit of oil. I actually found that part relaxing. It was a 5 beer job.
    Last edited by Frenchie; May 1st, 2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I usually oil my reels when re spool them with new line. I find it helps keep them smooth.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I'll put a drop of oil on the bushings and bearing of the collection of Cardinal 3 and 4 relics from time to time. Keeping them loose for serious offers.
    TS

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    I've been playing around with my boat inside the garage for the last couple weeks. I've been re organizing where I store all my equipment and trying to get better at using my Helix. I am a little frustrated with it, I'm not very good with any sort of electronics. I just bought the Lake Master Ontario V2 chip so I have to figure out how that works too. What I didn't mind doing was wiping down all my rods and reels. My baitcasters, spinning reels and line counter reels all got a bit of oil. I actually found that part relaxing. It was a 5 beer job.
    Exactly........couple of beers, listen to a hockey game and putz around in the garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast