Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now he has his first Tom/Opening day success

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Now he has his first Tom/Opening day success

We went to two farms this morning... At the first farm as we pull in and park about 500yds from the bush, a turkey flies off a tree that is right beside the parked truck. Of all places, to park....
    We trek the 500 yds to the bush/field edge and wait for the morning to unfold. We hear a distant gobbler, see a few deer but no real action close to us so after 7:30 am we decide to leave and check out another farm 5 minutes away....
    Arrive at the second farm and make our way toward the bush catching a glimpse of a hen in the field/bush edge a few hundred yards ahead. We get close to the bush and settle in. After a few minutes we get a Tom to sound off maybe 300 yds out. We continue to call on and off for an hour, only to have a hen come in checking us out....
    Shortly after 9 am we decide to take a walk to the back portion of the bush and have a look into the back field. We don't see anything so decide to make a big circle back to where we started off at this farm. As we near our starting point and before we break out of the bush, I spot a big bodied deer about 80 yds away slowly making its way toward us. There we are looking at this great big bodied deer, taking out my binos just admiring it, when all of a sudden without warning a turkey comes over the rise just behind the deer. Then another one and a 3rd one comes over the rise, it looks like two Toms and a Jake (maybe a hen, was not sure).
    I tell my hunting partner (call him a boy but he is a young man now) to get his gun up and ready as they should following the tree line and give us a 25-30yd shot. They are taking their time and to encourage them to continue on their path I give out a few soft yelps of encouragement ….. They came in just as I hoped.. I tell the boy wait until they separate, once they do he takes the 30 yd shot and his first Tom is down... He is very happy.... After the shot, the other one stood there confused for a few seconds, my partners offers his gun (I left mine in the truck on purpose) but in the moment I say no... Looking back maybe I should have taken his gun and the second bird but this was his day

"Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Right on. Congrats. Nice of you to let him have his moment. A double would of been cool also. Maybe next time.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice work guys! Pretty exciting morning by the sound of it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Well done, nice Tom, congrats to both of you!
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Elite Member

User Info Menu

very cool, great story, props again to you for taking him out and having success on turkey this time!

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Great hunt and great story Frank. Awfully nice of ya to let him have his moment.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

User Info Menu

Way to go guys, a double would of been a nice memory as well. But regardless of the double opportunity I'm sure he won't forget this day.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great story and congrats to the young lad.

User Info Menu

Congrats to the young man!
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Nice bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast