Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: moose results

Apprentice

User Info Menu

So as a somewhat new hunter, if I want to get a Bull tag in future, I should keep rejecting the calf tags to build up points basically ?

We have a group of 3 new hunters, one got a calf tag, others didnt. So trying to decide if we should use the tag, or skip moose this year in hopes of eventually getting a bull tag ?

other 2 have 1 point, the one that got the calf tag had 2 points.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gibb View Post
    Anybody who applies in the system has to have a outdoors card and a license so they qualify as a hunter, the new system does nothing to prevent this,
    Going forward the only thing that will matter is points.
    The person has to actually go hunting. With the old system, people were buying tags for licenced hunters who had not intention of going moose hunting to get the group size large enough (wives, girlfriends, neighbours). If a non-moose-hunter got the tag, they just transferred it to someone who was going. The new system doesn't allow tag transfers. Once you accept the tag, its yours.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    So as a somewhat new hunter, if I want to get a Bull tag in future, I should keep rejecting the calf tags to build up points basically ?

We have a group of 3 new hunters, one got a calf tag, others didnt. So trying to decide if we should use the tag, or skip moose this year in hopes of eventually getting a bull tag ?

If you don't want a calf tag, then don't apply for one.
    If you are sure you want a bull only, then apply for a bull only.
    A normal sort of logic that will develop over time for groups is that some of the guys (usually those with least points) will apply for calf tags so you can hunt every years, but some guys will build up points for bull tags.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gibb View Post
    Fundamentally that is the problem with this new system, ghost hunters just became more valuable as this point system moves forward.
    Not without tag transfers, they're not.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post

This would allow you go and scout an area to prepare you for when you do have an adult tag so you wont be going in blind.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

gibb
    You have to have a valid outdoors card to to sign into the fishhunt licensing system to apply/buy license.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    I don't like this new system at all.

No one has any idea how it will work as there are too many variables. With the guaranteed group size there was certainty that if you met a certain # of applications, the group would get a tag and you could safely plan your hunt every year. I am not sure what was wrong with that; moose hunting IMO is not a lone wolf activity.

Also it's not fair even to those with high point counts. If someone has 20 points and the WMU applied to say only needs 10 points for a tag, then is it fair that the point count should be reset to zero versus 10 points deducted? I think not.

Enjoy your moose tags those of you with high points as it will be a long time before you get another.
    Hear Ya-but the matter of fact with the old system was-that there was about 70% of Ontario huntable moose range -no guaranteed group sizes.
    At the other hand -while this new system fixes some issues-opens up another ones.
    I think the "ghost hunter"issue could have been fixed without this new system though. Just do not allow transfer.
    This new system does not allow it anyway-so why they did not do it a whole lot earlier.

Our bigger problem is not this anyway-it is the lack of(or perception of the "lack of") moose.
    Last edited by gbk; May 18th, 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    I don't like this new system at all.

No one has any idea how it will work as there are too many variables. With the guaranteed group size there was certainty that if you met a certain # of applications, the group would get a tag and you could safely plan your hunt every year. I am not sure what was wrong with that; moose hunting IMO is not a lone wolf activity.

Also it's not fair even to those with high point counts. If someone has 20 points and the WMU applied to say only needs 10 points for a tag, then is it fair that the point count should be reset to zero versus 10 points deducted? I think not.

Enjoy your moose tags those of you with high points as it will be a long time before you get another.
    I love this point system. It’s finally a fair system.
    I guess I’m a lone wolf, haha
    50% of Moose hunters in the past applied solo with the old system.
    So you don’t find it fair that someone that went 20+ years without a tag now gets one?????
    At the end of the day, there’s not enough Moose to go around. The new norm will be to go years without Moose hunting.
    Large groups will still have an advantage in the long run.
    Give it a chance, it’s the first go around..
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How can you have a "Ghost Hunter" The holder of the tag must be there.

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Hear Ya-but the matter of fact with the old system was-that there was about 70% of Ontario huntable moose range -no guaranteed group sizes.
    At the other hand -while this new system fixes some issues-opens up another ones.
    I think the "ghost hunter"issue could have been fixed without this new system though. Just do not allow transfer.
    This new system does not allow it anyway-so why they did not do it a whole lot earlier.

Our bigger problem is not this anyway-it is the lack of(or perception of the "lack of") moose.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I love this point system. It’s finally a fair system.
    I guess I’m a lone wolf, haha
    50% of Moose hunters in the past applied solo with the old system.
    So you don’t find it fair that someone that went 20+ years without a tag now gets one?????
    At the end of the day, there’s not enough Moose to go around. The new norm will be to go years without Moose hunting.
    Large groups will still have an advantage in the long run.
    Give it a chance, it’s the first go around..
    I hear you Deer Hunter. I think its sad that someone cannot get a tag in 20 years and certainly deserves one. But like I said, the excitement will be fleeting as these hunters will now get a tag, but will be put at the back of the line again, possibly waiting another 20 years for another tag. Unless you hunt in a group, this means no moose hunting for most years. What fun is that!

I think GBK hit it on the nail - the real underlying problem is the diminishing Moose herds.