Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atypical behavior (to me) in need of some advice please

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

2213 Bias Atypical behavior (to me) in need of some advice please

Hello guys,

I am looking for some advice from the thunder chicken heavyweights, as I have been dealing with somewhat atypical situation to me.

On the property I hunt there are about 4 flocks with multiple toms and several hens each
    I've also been able to identify (consistently) two different areas with single massive toms
    I have not seen more than 2 jakes throughout my hunts and pre-season scouting

My setups (depending on location, situation and weather):

1 1/4 strutted jake
    1 upright hen

1 upright jake
    2 upright hen

1 full strutted jake
    1 breading hen

I do not call a lot, and not very aggressive unless I have a dominant hen that I can piss-off and try to get her to me
    I normally play the visuals, and call enough to get the toms info on my location (normally field edge)

Past 4 hunts (morning, mid-day and afternoon), I've successfully brought in the toms within 100yds, but they won't commit
    We have a serious stare-down for 30mins or more, and eventually they turn around a slowly leave

I get a lot for young hens passing by my decoys, stay a while and then move on to their pattern, but no aggressive tom trying to charge in

Not sure if this years is different, but this has been my go to and most successful strategy so far, but not this year.

Any advice? Anyone experiencing the same? (ie: toms not too aggressive) Too many hens to be had by the good old toms and therefore uninterested?

Any help/advice appreciated
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

The first morning hunt I went out for I had a jake that came out the bush maybe 100 yards away. Had 1 feeder decoy, and had 2 hens beside them, Jake came out, puffed up strutted around and then went back into the bush.

Yesterday my dad had a bunch of hens and 3 toms strutting around but didn't want to come within 100 yards. I tried cutting them off but with no luck and they walked into the bush.

Won't know if I'm just doing something wrong or if it's their thing this year but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
    Any advice? Anyone experiencing the same? (ie: toms not too aggressive) Too many hens to be had by the good old toms and therefore uninterested?
    Ditch the decoys...use your calls and get them come in looking for the hen.

If you must, then put them about 50 yds away from your pop-up so if they hang up, they'll do it in front of you.

Far to many guys put the decoys to close to where they're sitting.
    Last edited by MikePal; May 4th, 2021 at 05:30 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Do you use a popup blind ? If so, is there any movement, like wind flapping or moving the blind fabric? That will keep birds away from your setup. I’ve seen that many times, so I rarely use one now. If not, like Mike said, ditch the decoys. Gobblers call to get hens to go to them. Some times, if they see your hen decoys, they will hang up. Later in the season, when hens are sitting, gobblers tend to come to call much more readily. You are likely dealing with some old smart birds. I’ve tangled with a few of them, and it took until the last week to get them to come to me...no decoys.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Do you use a popup blind ? If so, is there any movement, like wind flapping or moving the blind fabric? That will keep birds away from your setup. I’ve seen that many times, so I rarely use one now. If not, like Mike said, ditch the decoys. Gobblers call to get hens to go to them. Some times, if they see your hen decoys, they will hang up. Later in the season, when hens are sitting, gobblers tend to come to call much more readily. You are likely dealing with some old smart birds. I’ve tangled with a few of them, and it took until the last week to get them to come to me...no decoys.
    very interesting!

ive had some hens come out the bush and not even pay attention to my decoys.

it would come and eat maybe 50 feet from my feeder and then wonder off.

will try no decoys next time going up.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Hmm, you might have a point, this is the first year I am hunting from a blind as I have a kid with me
    I will try without or go deeper in the cover. It has been rather windy
    Thanks

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Ditch the decoys...use your calls and get them come in looking for the hen.

If you must, then put them about 50 yds away from your pop-up so if they hang up, they'll do it in front of you.

Far to many guys put the decoys to close to where they're sitting.
    I'm usually playing the distance game in case they hang up.
    I will give it a try without the decoys
    Thanks

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bowjob View Post
    The first morning hunt I went out for I had a jake that came out the bush maybe 100 yards away. Had 1 feeder decoy, and had 2 hens beside them, Jake came out, puffed up strutted around and then went back into the bush.

Yesterday my dad had a bunch of hens and 3 toms strutting around but didn't want to come within 100 yards. I tried cutting them off but with no luck and they walked into the bush.

Won't know if I'm just doing something wrong or if it's their thing this year but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I read your other thread . I don't mind the action, I just hate the result :-)
    Good luck out there

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Some pretty sound advice given here. You may have to try them all before being successful.
    One thing to consider is that, I'm of the opinion, things have changed in the turkeys world in Ontario over 20 odd years.
    I believe birds have adapted to be a little more savy then they once were. A lot of birds are more wary now of excessive calling and some decoy set ups. Hen's call but they don't move.
    We are all responsible for educating birds over the years.
    Last edited by smokin'stoegie; May 4th, 2021 at 02:55 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokin'stoegie View Post
    Some pretty sound advice given here. You may have to try them all before being successfully.
    One thing to consider is that, I'm of the opinion, things have changed in the turkeys world in Ontario over 20 odd years.
    I believe birds have adapted to be a little more savy then they once were. A lot of birds are more wary now of excessive calling and some decoy set ups. Hen's call but they don't move.
    We are all responsible for educating birds over the years.

I agree our actions do alter their behavior, but I cannot say that turkey hunting has been increasingly challenging over the past few years
    Everything I've done so far worked great each year, but this year I cannot seem to synchronize with the birds' behavior

As always, I am humble and willing to learn whatever wild life and the more experienced teach me

It is called hunting and not shooting for a reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast