Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conestoga pheasant program cancelled

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Conestoga pheasant program cancelled

From the GRCA website (https://www.grandriver.ca/en/outdoor...Hunting.aspx):

"Pheasant: The the 2021 pheasant hunting program at Conestogo Lake Conservation Area is cancelled. The decision not to renew the contract to purchase pheasants is part of an overall operational review of our programs, based on recent changes to the Conservation Authorities Act and to ensure these programs align with our strategic priorities. This suspension impacts our pheasant hunting program only; our other hunting programs are not affected."
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Well, that is some major BS.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

That sucks, but not surprised. Seems the way things are going these days. The pheasant release program’s in Ontario are sadly being phased out.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

That was a really nice place to hunt and run a dog. There were lots of permits sold, in fact, I am pretty sure they sold out. I’m not buying the claim it doesn’t align with their strategic priorities either. Encouraging outdoor recreation is on their list. I think it is easier to cater to covid hikers.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Dilly, and others, if you need to blame someone for the loss of this hunting opportunity blame Doug Ford and the PC Provincial Government. They made changes to the CA's mandate, I believe spring of 2019, it took many as a surprise. The Ford Government did change the mandate for all conservation Authorities. It is as follows, "Mandate. The core mandate of Conservation Authorities is to undertake watershed-based programs to protect people and property from flooding and other natural hazards, and to conserve natural resources for economic, social and environmental benefits." https://conservationontario.ca/conse...tal%20benefits.

A lot that the CA's did in the past had to be stopped. I am in Listowel, belong to the Middle Maitland Rejuvenation Committee, years ago we started a education program with secondary students, as the program expanded we brought the expertise from the MVCA on board. It was a full day tour of site on the river showing students problem areas and areas of restoration, then we would do a planting with the students. This was generally 2-3 classes of students per day and 4 days per year. When the new mandate was introduced the MVCA had to drop all student education a Wildlife Center closed, they stopped participating with our Student ECO Tours. The Mandate changes changed a lot, some larger CA's that can draw on monies (levies) from cities did carry on some programs; but as cities tighten their budgets do do the CA's.
    If you want to learn more about even further cuts in responsibility that Ford made in Dec 2020 a quick search will give you more. But in a nutshell they took the authority of the CA's to stop projects affecting our waterways away from them, the experts. They put the decision making on environmental issues into the hand of politicians. He says that they will listen to the experts... sound familiar? A politician listening to the expects before making decisions, yavfills me with a lot of confidence.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Doug, I respect your take and it seems you are in a position to have an informed opinion in this matter, but I really don’t like to boil things down to blaming it on one guy (or the government that so often bears his name). There is another side to this argument that suggests many CA’s were overstepping their authority and resisting their provincial masters for political reasons, and they were reined in because they bit the hand that feeds too many times. As a result, they are pouting and cutting programs to hurt citizens in an “I’ll show you” move. From what I understand, the program at Conestoga funded itself and allowed for good and controlled recreational use of their property. The term “outdoor experiences” fits into their strategic priorities, and they could make it work if they wanted to. I suspect a bunch of people in a boardroom angry at the Ford government decided to start slashing to cause more people to be frustrated and vote another way the next election. Sorry, I ain’t buying it.

I really hate talking politics guys...sorry for the rant.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Well this sucks! I have a new pup coming.
    My understanding is that the program was self-sufficient. I call shenanigans. As for the remaining hunting programs, I can't see a lot people willing to pay $270 to take rabbits off the property.
    The employee who does the release twice a week will not be reassigned to "erosion duty" but will still have to head to the properties to care for them anyway. Shenanigans.
    Always with the negative waves Moriarty, ALWAYS with the negative waves!
    There you go, more negative waves! Have a little faith, baby! Have a little faith...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Really unfortunate to see another pheasant program gone. Luther Marsh was also a very nice place for pheasants and they also shut things down back in 2008, similar explanation/rationale as Conestoga. There were rumours in recent years that Luther would re-open, but it’s gone silent again and apparently a few people on the management team there weren’t on board with the idea - would love to see that place back up and running too.
    Lorenzo

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Luther closed because of the personal opinion of an un-elected “expert” who had too much authority.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Luther closed because of the personal opinion of an un-elected “expert” who had too much authority.
    Yeah terrible ... get the feeling Conestoga is probably the same type of scenario. That’s all it takes unfortunately.
    Lorenzo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast