Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help judging bear

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Help judging bear

spypoint_1080313861798281.jpg

First bear, new hunter. Is this a shooter?

To me it seems like a shooter but I haven't seen it in person yet and this isn't best photo I have so far.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Shooter is different for everyone.
    Hard to tell from that pic. I guess about 300lb. Lots of eating there.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Unless the bear is sow,with cubs...and unless You are particular about the size....definitely is a shooter.
    What can you loose?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

This is will hopefully be my first bear so I am not too particular on size. Just was curious about how more expirenced hunters than myself would judge this bear.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrible_E View Post
    This is will hopefully be my first bear so I am not too particular on size. Just was curious about how more expirenced hunters than myself would judge this bear.
    Bears are by far the hardest critter to field judge, even by experienced hunters. Specially with only one pic and no real references to actually give an idea of height like if it was standing right beside a barrel.
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    Bears are by far the hardest critter to field judge, even by experienced hunters. Specially with only one pic and no real references to actually give an idea of height like if it was standing right beside a barrel.
    I second that,
    If you have a 45 gallon drum on your bait you can judge a bear better with that if its back is level with the top of the barrel smoke it.
    They look way bigger when on the ground for the first time I found,

Just starting out

User Info Menu

It's your first bear so if you dont see Cubs and it looks good go for it. I do believe that bear is a nice size in the photo but.. I'm not a seasoned bear hunter
    Go where you feel most alive

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Yes it is a shooter 200 - 300 Lb no cabs , ( make sure broadside double lung shot going to run 50 yard )

Quote Originally Posted by Terrible_E View Post

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Terrible E-there are few guidelines for sizing up a bear.
    The bear has to "cooperate"with You for this (proper angle,long enough time ,close enough distance etc)This bear on Your picture is "not cooperating".It is dark, and the bear covers almost all telltale signs.

The smaller the ear-the bigger the bear. The shorter the leg-the bigger the bear.The wider the butt(to the rest of the body)-the bigger the bear.
    More pointier the nose is- smaller bear.More elongated ears- smaller bear-.More Big dog like body proportions on the bear -the smaller the bear.
    The more rapacious -belligerent attitude on the bear-the bigger the bear. The more the bear looks behind on the bait, and acts jitterish-there is a bigger one lurking somewhere there.

All in al-as some mentioned above,it is impossible to judge the weight/true size of the bear without some reference (other then the bear itself).Guess it-yes,judge -no.

All in all-as You mentioned,You would take that bear. Right on..............
    Let us know, and good luck.
    Last edited by gbk; May 6th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Judging by the small head compared to the broad shoulders and legs I would say it is a shooter. For a first time bear hunter I would have no issues harvesting that bear.
    Good luck
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast