Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help judging bear

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

When I was a stupid teenager my buddies and I thought we'd be funny. We took a road killed bear that was about 180lbs - skinned it ,took the feet and head off, dressed it up with an old ripped up pair of blue coveralls. We put some Canadian tire money in an old wallet in the pocket, and half a pack of players light in the chest pocket. We then dumped it on the shoulder of the road by the airport. We thought it was hilarious until it was in the local paper saying it had been sent to forensics and my one buddy said they had the area taped off for an investigation. Thank god nobody squealed on us!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    When I was a stupid teenager my buddies and I thought we'd be funny. We took a road killed bear that was about 180lbs - skinned it ,took the feet and head off, dressed it up with an old ripped up pair of blue coveralls. We put some Canadian tire money in an old wallet in the pocket, and half a pack of players light in the chest pocket. We then dumped it on the shoulder of the road by the airport. We thought it was hilarious until it was in the local paper saying it had been sent to forensics and my one buddy said they had the area taped off for an investigation. Thank god nobody squealed on us!
    Not a good thing to do but sure does sound like a funny thing to do
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Being a new hunter myself, also looked into this topic recently and came up upon this video

https://youtu.be/i3Jox-fQARw

As opposed a lot of identification instructions that are based of size or body shape (ie position of the ears , ramp size , belly lines etc)
    This video describes the hair patch between hind legs that gets faded out when a female urinates due to they peeing position.

Take my words with grain of salt, of course, as my first bear hunt is coming up to it this June by a kind invite of a forum member,
    However something to consider.

Maybe other more experienced hunter could pitch on this id method.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Now I learned something new , but in the past I never had a chance time to evaluate this in hunting situation .
    I always make sure that there is no cubs with the adult Bear ,
    cubs are always not far away from their mother specially in Spring season .

Quote Originally Posted by newbiehunter View Post
    Being a new hunter myself, also looked into this topic recently and came up upon this video

https://youtu.be/i3Jox-fQARw

As opposed a lot of identification instructions that are based of size or body shape (ie position of the ears , ramp size , belly lines etc)
    This video describes the hair patch between hind legs that gets faded out when a female urinates due to they peeing position.

Take my words with grain of salt, of course, as my first bear hunt is coming up to it this June by a kind invite of a forum member,
    However something to consider.

Maybe other more experienced hunter could pitch on this id method.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Good one......story for life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123