Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default searching for "waterproof" pants

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Pretty crazy that for 50+ years technology has not been able to create a membrane that beats Gore-Tex.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Elite Member

User Info Menu

indeed, ive been searching for some decent rain pants that arent 300$ LOL. i have old rain gear my dad got from base Borden, but the pants are way to rubbery and do make some noise when walking.

that aside they are 100% waterproof but its like wearing a garbage bag. i dont mind the jacket. but i do want different pants if i can find any. i tried some from canadian tire, didnt expect much. water seeped through and my butt and knees were soaked underneath.

i mainly just want a pair of rain pants that wont let water seep through to my butt, but after watching this its a pretty slim chance haha.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I'd like to kick the Gore Tex inventor in the sac. I have $500 waterfowl squad parkas and cabelas top of the line parkas and rain gear. They are all as useless as teats on a boar pig. The crap about being able to "breath" is a pile of crap. You end up completely soaked from the inside as soon as your body warms up. 50 plus years has taught me that absolutely nothing beats wool. Merino wool undershirt with wool sweater on top, then a set of rubberized canvas rain bibs and jacket. The same as commercial fishermen wear. Doesn't matter if you sweat as the wool wicks it away from your body.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I'd like to kick the Gore Tex inventor in the sac. I have $500 waterfowl squad parkas and cabelas top of the line parkas and rain gear. They are all as useless as teats on a boar pig. The crap about being able to "breath" is a pile of crap. You end up completely soaked from the inside as soon as your body warms up. 50 plus years has taught me that absolutely nothing beats wool. Merino wool undershirt with wool sweater on top, then a set of rubberized canvas rain bibs and jacket. The same as commercial fishermen wear. Doesn't matter if you sweat as the wool wicks it away from your body.
    X2 Fenelon- i agreed .If one wants 100 % waterproofness,all the membranes will fail ,sooner or later.
    My choice for real rain is HH.They have some great waterproof clothing. Some are soft,quiet ,stretchy a bit and nicely pliable.
    Better yet-they are truly waterproof.
    I was aiming once for HH Imperfect suit (Alaska fishermen's favorite)but they are discontinued.
    HH VOSS does a great job for me .

For stand hunting, sitting in duck blind,on an ATV, boat or motor bike-sweating is not an issue anyway So not much special underwear may be needed if one has none.
    Last edited by gbk; May 7th, 2021 at 07:13 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I just take coveralls and spray them with nano waterproofing spray.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I just take coveralls and spray them with nano waterproofing spray.
    you know you just reminded me of a product named "neverwet" might look into it.

@felon and gbk

i have been using a rain jacket from the military thats basically a bib, seem like its made out of rubber and has camo pattern to it, i dont mind using that, but i do want sepeerate pants that are already waterproof instead of having to bring the pant bibs to pull over my pants int he bush when it starts to rain.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Finding true breathable and waterproof rain gear is like searching for the lost city of Atlantis! One problem that I’ve found is that many garments leak through the seams. As Fenelon mentioned, you often get soaked from the inside due to body vapours. Lol you should be able to road hunt on rainy days... just kidding.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've found that as long as my jacket doesn't leak through the hood and the shoulder/ neck area I can handle the rain all day. Most of the time I'm already wearing waders if I'm hunting in the rain, but also wear rubberized bibs for work and add extra waterproofer to the shoulders of my jacket to work in a torrential downpour when it's necessary. I sweat no matter what I wear so I try to wear cotton underneath.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Have you ever just considered using chaps?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast