Thread: I need some Crappie advice...

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default I need some Crappie advice...

Some of you guys really know how to catch these things...

Any advice to give for this time of year? Are they still in shallow bays? I really want to get my young lad out with me and get him away from the screens for awhile.... Some help from you pro panfishers would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

....no takers? I guess this is the wrong forum for Crappy advice...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Crappies would still be pre spawn in most areas. Shallow, dark, weedy areas, canals, creeks are good spots to check. A slip float with a 1/16 oz jig head, white tube tipped with a small bit of worm will usually do the trick. Fish between 6” to 18” under the float. Lighter line is best preferably fluorocarbon.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'll have to give this subject some thought before I respond.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The Off Topic and Political forums should be golden for any and all the crappie advice you could ever want.
    For crappie fishing, look on the north shores with quick drop-offs, maybe a water inlet that might be warming it and green weeds in 8-12 feet would be good also. Don't give up too quick on an area that looks good, they will shut down fast if there are marauding pike in the area.
    John

Leads by example

User Info Menu

We fish Rondeau Bay and the bite was early this year for reasons I can't explain. The second wave is usually better but my boys and I fished the normal areas that produce excellent numbers and quality yesterday and all we caught was small males, the odd big female. Lots of carp and gar pike which usually means the spawn is over.
    We will give it another try next week with the warmer weather coming in but by the looks of things they have moved to post spawn areas now.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
    Some of you guys really know how to catch these things...

Any advice to give for this time of year? Are they still in shallow bays? I really want to get my young lad out with me and get him away from the screens for awhile.... Some help from you pro panfishers would be appreciated.
    When water temps hit 58 degrees look around grassy or brushy areas. Use tiny baits on 4# test line

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    The Off Topic and Political forums should be golden for any and all the crappie advice you could ever want.

John
    YES. This is correct!!!

Thanks all who chimed in. If I can get the "honey do list" done today, I will try one of my spots and report back!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I promised I would give an update: my "secret" spot was un-productive today. I even used the stealth-boat to get in there as quiet as a hummingbird (kayak) but no luck. I think they have spawned out already and moved into deeper water.

It was a nice day though, and I think I found a killer duck hunting spot for this fall. Geese and goslings were everywhere - it appears there will be no shortage of them once September rolls around.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
    I promised I would give an update: my "secret" spot was un-productive today. I even used the stealth-boat to get in there as quiet as a hummingbird (kayak) but no luck. I think they have spawned out already and moved into deeper water.

It was a nice day though, and I think I found a killer duck hunting spot for this fall. Geese and goslings were everywhere - it appears there will be no shortage of them once September rolls around.
    Isn't it funny that you can get skunked fishing but find spots for waterfowl. It's almost like fishing is break time from scouting