Thread: Another dismal fur sale

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Another dismal fur sale

Credit goes to Fur Harvesters for doing their very best to run a good auction but it still looks like things are still pretty tough in the fur industry. Looked at my cheque from last year's fur and I should have enough for a burger and fries meal and maybe a new plastic fur comb from the Dollar Store.

https://www.furharvesters.com/result...il/apr21us.pdf. Keep in mind these prices are for premium furs (section 1)

Terrible clearance on just about everything I trap. Pretty much gave away the stuff that did sell (coon, beaver, mink, fisher, otter). The house must have a pile of coon inventory now as only 13% sold. Looks like it's time to target skunks! (100% clearance). I was surprised to see the not so bad clearance and prices on our eastern coyotes after all the PR that Canada Goose was halting coyote purchases for coat hood ruffs. Rat clearance was good and prices are at least acceptable.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I remember the days when my buddies in high school would go shoot muskrats with their dad and get nearly 10 bucks per rat! They were able to buy nice new long track Tundra's every few years.

Good luck with the plastic comb....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
    I remember the days when my buddies in high school would go shoot muskrats with their dad and get nearly 10 bucks per rat! They were able to buy nice new long track Tundra's every few years.

Good luck with the plastic comb....
    I remember getting 6.48 for a rat in about 1974 or thereabouts when the normal average was 2.50-3.50.
    It was a real good feeling.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

How about picking up coon off the side of the road cause they were worth a few bucks .
    Glen

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yup not great at all on what I target also. I didn't trap much this year and decided to keep everything in the freezer.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sevennine View Post
    Yup not great at all on what I target also. I didn't trap much this year and decided to keep everything in the freezer.
    I didn't set a trap this year either, other than for nuisance calls for beaver and coon in the barns.
    Makes me almost sick to my stomach when I come home with eight mid-December top coloured 2xl coon and I contemplate if it's even worth pelting them. Two years of inventory glutting the market, then only 13% finally sell. It's to the point now that some articles almost have no commercial value. I feel badly for the trappers in northern communities who have trapping as your only income. Welfare would be your only option when a new snowmobile is $15,000 and a liter of gas is $3. You'd still be living below the poverty line even if you had a big registered line with good quota numbers.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I didn't set a trap this year either, other than for nuisance calls for beaver and coon in the barns.
    Makes me almost sick to my stomach when I come home with eight mid-December top coloured 2xl coon and I contemplate if it's even worth pelting them. Two years of inventory glutting the market, then only 13% finally sell. It's to the point now that some articles almost have no commercial value. I feel badly for the trappers in northern communities who have trapping as your only income. Welfare would be your only option when a new snowmobile is $15,000 and a liter of gas is $3. You'd still be living below the poverty line even if you had a big registered line with good quota numbers.
    Yup,very sad indeed for those who do it as their primary income. The work and energy spent to put up any fur should be rewarded accordingly.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Prices have sure changed since I trapped.
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

Many are called but only a few are chosen.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Mine are all still in the freezer, didnt think the prices would be good with the volume of goods offered, so it was an easy decision to leave them there