Thread: Blew it Update

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Blew it Update

So I went back to the same farm I missed the 4 Toms on the other day. Sat down at the edge of the bush just off a trail next to the lower field. All's quite except for some gobbles way off across the road at least a couple farms over. I let an owl call go and no response, started calling and stayed there for an hour or so before deciding to move. Headed up to the top field where I had the four Toms within 15 feet of me the other day. Got all set up beside the fence tucked in under a cedar. Decided I wanted a better view of the field (its huge with a small valley and some trees in the middle of it) so I left my stuff there and moved over to a nearby tree to call and watch. Started calling and had a gobble back, but a long way away across the road. Its 850m to the edge of the field and the gobble is coming from a field on the other side across the road. Get a second gobble and its closer, so there's hope. Just watching for a while and I pick up movement. Get the binoculars out and see the hens start into the field , 3 of them followed by 3 Toms. Their taking their sweet time with the hens stopped to preen themselves and the Toms just strutting in circles. They slowly start to head my way just like they did on Wednesday. I carefully crawl back into my spot and as soon as I'm set up again they start to head the other way, right toward the valley and cedars. Don't think there's anyway they could have seen me but you never know. Sat there watching for awhile to make sure they didn't come back and finally decided to try and head them off. Slipped down into a low spot in the field and hustled over to where I could see them again. I'm right between two openings in the fence and strait across from the valley and the cedars now. Eventually I pick up some movement on the other side of the cedars. For 15 minutes they don't seem to be going anywhere. Then all of a sudden I hear flapping and the Hens come over the Cedars and land 75 yards in front of me still on the neighbors property but no Toms. Eventually the hens came across and move through the opening to my right and right out into my field. Still no Toms and I'm not sure where they are. I'm waying my options and quickly realize I don't have any but to wait. Then all of a sudden the lead hen turns around and runs back to the opening in the fence and ITurkey pic.jpg cant figure out what spooked her but all of a sudden I see tail feathers coming up the hill from the valley. Here come the 3 strutting Toms, guess the where just to cool to fly over the cedars. So now all six are in the corner of the field by an opening just down the fencerow from me. They are a little far away but with six pairs of eyes on me I cant move. This is the first good look at the 3 toms (there were four on Wednesday) and I realize the biggest one isn't with them. They stay in that corner forever and I finally give in and make a couple of clucks which get an immediate response but no movement. Eventually the lead hen crosses back over and heads across the field I'm in with the other two hens and three Toms in tow. I range the hen at 56 yards, would like to be closer but I'm not getting a better chance and my gun patterns pretty good past 60. As the hens move off and the toms step into the area I pick the biggest and let him have it. Dropped on the spot.
    19lbs
    3/4 spurs
    9 3/4 beard.
    Still chasing the big one.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

No idea how pic ended up in the middle of a sentence.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well congrats, nice story.... 56 yds, that's a long way off, glad you got it done
    Good luck with the big one
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Great story. Glad you stuck with it. Waiting is sometimes the best option. Nice bird.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats your hard work payed off
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

User Info Menu

Love it when those improvised ambushes work!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

User Info Menu

After reading this I had to go look up Wake’s first story.

Just for the record everyone, Wake didn’t miss 4 toms, they busted him. He’s being hard on himself
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Congrats glad you stayed at it and it payed off