Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did some shooting

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Your daughter is already 5 now?
    4 and a half, she is too rammy right now for is, hopefully next summer.

She wants to come out and "Shoot my own deer for dinner, mmmm", ha ha ha.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    My son seems to be a bit better shooting the pistol then me.
    My son not as good on paper as I am but is a crack shot on running animals. Weird
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Women usually have a better hand eye control

Leads by example

User Info Menu

We call my wife "Sniper Chick". She simply does not miss. 29 deer in 29 shots. When we shoot off a bench, I try to fart to throw her off. It has worked a few times but it damn near made me sick to my stomach!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

She was so quiet but you tell her something and it sunk in. Dad stayed quiet so it helped
    Told her next time we start up close move back 125yd. With a egg as target. She was picking off rattle can tops so it’s doable.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

It’s certainly a good time to get some shooting in. I’d picked up 45- 70, 405 grain mold a while back , I finally got my lead mixture soft enough so I could size the bullet down to .446 caliber for the 43 Mauser. Now I’m having the fun of working up a load for it. My eyes aren’t what they use to be so I’ve put a red dot on the gun. So far some of the load combinations have been spotty with respect to grouping. However I will eventually find a combination that has a sweet spot.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    So far some of the load combinations have been spotty with respect to grouping. However I will eventually find a combination that has a sweet spot.
    I know what you mean, a fella sold me a box of goodies for my .58 Musketoon. In it I found a couple hundred .45 Minnie balls. Till now had only been shooting 'Patch and Ball' with my .45 Kentucky so I've been on my range for the past few weeks playing around with those trying to find the sweet spot.

Heck of a difference between a 129 gr lead ball and a .244 gr minnie. The stiff target panel at 50 yrs flattens the ball without full penetration and the Minnie pops right thru it...using the same powder load !! Turned the Kentucky into a Deer Gun !!

It was a blessing when we bought this place that I was now able to shoot 200 yds on a range I built in the back yard. I do a lot more shooting now that I don't have to pack all the crap into the truck to go to a range to shoot.

I also know what you mean by eyesight...still not used to wearing prescription glasses to shoot. HaHa...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    So buddy brought out his 14 year old girl today. They live in town he’s helped me when I’m dropping trees good guy
    The girl is in cadets that’s been shut down for a year so they came out with pellet gun I set her up with targets 20yd told her right off the bat if she points the gun any where’s near me I would likely swear at her. If she did it twice we call it a day
    she was a little shaky at first but she was hitting bulls eye after few shots. Then picking off pop cans

So I had 10/22 put 5 rounds in clip. Racked it handed it to her showed her how to take safety off. 3 misses at 25yd hmm. 4 and fifth each took a pop can. Ok let’s move to fifty yd
    Loaded clip for her racked it for her 10 cans fell
    Move to 75 yd. told her she can load her own mag. Put 3 rd in for her she did remaining 7. Fast learner
    10 cans fell
    Move 100yd
    She reloaded two mags
    Sat down 10 cans fell shot a fire extinguisher 10 pings

Set up cans and 10 spray can plastic tops.
    2 mags all hits. She’s a natural
    Have a small propane tank hanging been 22-250 several holes she likes the bell gong it makes.
    100yd 50rd 50 pings not bad

She’s little thing maybe 70 pound bad guys in TO better watch out for this one
    Great to get the young ones into shooting!

Women seem to better shots in general from my experience. I don’t know why but it seems this is the case.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I know what you mean, a fella sold me a box of goodies for my .58 Musketoon. In it I found a couple hundred .45 Minnie balls. Till now had only been shooting 'Patch and Ball' with my .45 Kentucky so I've been on my range for the past few weeks playing around with those trying to find the sweet spot.

Heck of a difference between a 129 gr lead ball and a .244 gr minnie. The stiff target panel at 50 yrs flattens the ball without full penetration and the Minnie pops right thru it...using the same powder load !! Turned the Kentucky into a Deer Gun !!

It was a blessing when we bought this place that I was now able to shoot 200 yds on a range I built in the back yard. I do a lot more shooting now that I don't have to pack all the crap into the truck to go to a range to shoot.

I also know what you mean by eyesight...still not used to wearing prescription glasses to shoot. HaHa...
    Switching to conical ammunition from round balls, do have a way of increasing the killing energy of your guns. Sometime it's simply a manner of backing off your powder charge to find your sweet spot. On my first round with the 43 Mauser I tried 34.5 grains of H-322, it group two of the three slugs not badly a bit high. On the next round, I’m going to try reducing the powder charge to 31.5 grains, it should lower the point of impact and maybe yield a three shot group in fairly closer proximity. When you’re messing with a slug over 400 grains it don’t have to go that fast to blow a hole through a deer's boiler room. At a speed around 1,100 fps it's knocking back about 1,075 ft-lb. As well, with the higher lead mixture, the mold mostly likely drops a slug closer to 420 grains.as oppose to 405 grains.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut .
    Last edited by Gun Nut; May 29th, 2021 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Took my wife out last weekend. She's 50, a city girl, nurse, has never touched a gun, and said she'd like to try.
    We took out the Rem 597 in .22 LR and the CZ452 in .22 Mag. She shot several rounds into a thumbnail group at 25 yards, and then a bunch of clay pigeons stuck in the sand. Her best shot was standing with her wrist braced against an upright post; picked off a clay pigeon at 50 yards.
    And can't wait to go again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast