Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Secondary moose draw

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    No. You'll have all of August to claim your tag if you wish and if you don't want to claim it, simply do nothing.
    The unfortunate part is that any tag not claimed will not be allocated this year since they did away with the surplus draw. It’s good for the moose population I guess.

An improvement to the draw would be to hold off carrying out step 2 and 3 (2nd and 3rd choice) until after hunters decide whether to claim a tag at step 1. This would entail tightening up the decision dates so that the entire draw process is completed by August 1st.

They could also run a modified group application draw where hunters can identify their group members along with their ultimate tag preferences e.g. 1bull tag and one cow/calf tag. Tags would still be awarded based on points and hunters remain in the draw until they meet their pre-identified tag allotment or until all tags have been awarded. Similar to the current draw, hunters would identify 3 choices and the computer will lock out the choices if a tag has been awarded to the group. So a group only gets what they want without having to turn back any tags or apply a second time. Obviously some bugs to work out, but should make the system more streamlined.
    Last edited by Sam Menard; June 15th, 2021 at 08:55 PM.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BPR 30-06 View Post
    Why would you be applying if no intention of claiming the tag??? Your just taking an opportunity from someone else!!
    If an entire gang drew no tag on the first go round, then multiple people in the same gang draw tags for calves for example, they may decide to just claim one of them.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    The unfortunate part is that any tag not claimed will not be allocated this year since they did away with the surplus draw. It’s good for the moose population I guess.

An improvement to the draw would be to hold off carrying out step 2 and 3 (2nd and 3rd choice) until after hunters decide whether to claim a tag at step 1. This would entail tightening up the decision dates so that the entire draw process is completed by August 1st.

They could also run a modified group application draw where hunters can identify their group members along with their ultimate tag preferences e.g. 1bull tag and one cow/calf tag. Tags would still be awarded based on points and hunters remain in the draw until they meet their pre-identified tag allotment or until all tags have been awarded. Similar to the current draw, hunters would identify 3 choices and the computer will lock out the choices if a tag has been awarded to the group. So a group only gets what they want without having to turn back any tags or apply a second time. Obviously some bugs to work out, but should make the system more streamlined.
    All very good points. You should send them to MNRF.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    If an entire gang drew no tag on the first go round, then multiple people in the same gang draw tags for calves for example, they may decide to just claim one of them.
    Valid point thanks.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

when i entered the first draw I had nine (9)points...i was unsuccessful and now it says I have 8 points applying to the second draw..I knew this system would start to screw up somehow. Guess its just growing pains.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

We already have a bull tag.
    Just want to know if you have to claim second draw tags.

Quote Originally Posted by BPR 30-06 View Post
    Why would you be applying if no intention of claiming the tag??? Your just taking an opportunity from someone else!!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

That is correct

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post

Apprentice

User Info Menu

From the 2021 regs :

Your points will reset to zero if you claim a tag you were awarded from your first choice in the second chance allocation stage. If you applied to WMU “99Z” or you chose to claim a tag from your second or third choice you will retain your points and gain a point.

so I applied for calf with [hopefully] less required points. so if I win I can try my hands on moose hunting and yet gain a point toward the goal of a bull in future.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Apprentice

User Info Menu

From what I’m reading in this part of the regs.
    If you draw a tag in first choice of the second allocation your points reset to zero that part I understand.
    If you don’t claim the tag do you still loose your points ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ata83 View Post
    From the 2021 regs :

Your points will reset to zero if you claim a tag you were awarded from your first choice in the second chance allocation stage. If you applied to WMU “99Z” or you chose to claim a tag from your second or third choice you will retain your points and gain a point.

so I applied for calf with [hopefully] less required points. so if I win I can try my hands on moose hunting and yet gain a point toward the goal of a bull in future.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gunter View Post
    From what I’m reading in this part of the regs.
    If you draw a tag in first choice of the second allocation your points reset to zero that part I understand.
    If you don’t claim the tag do you still loose your points ?
    You only lose your points when you claim a first choice tag….
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast