Thread: White Bass Fishing

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default White Bass Fishing

Hello everyone,

I've never fished for white bass before, but would like to try. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some tips as to what lures or bait/rigs to use on rivers that get runs of white bass. From what I gathered, people use jig heads with plastics bounced off the bottom as they fish from shore and reel in. Is that a good technique? Any tips at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I haven't done it in a while but we used to catch piles of them at this time of year right off shore at just about any river mouth on the Great Lakes. We used to get a lot around the power generating plants too. Jigs work great, minnows work great, or you can just cast little small Mepps spinners, which seem to work the best. Experiment with depth by counting down before you reel in. Once you find the right depth, you get them pretty much one after another.

White bass are a lot of fun. They fight great on an ultralight.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
    I haven't done it in a while but we used to catch piles of them at this time of year right off shore at just about any river mouth on the Great Lakes. We used to get a lot around the power generating plants too. Jigs work great, minnows work great, or you can just cast little small Mepps spinners, which seem to work the best. Experiment with depth by counting down before you reel in. Once you find the right depth, you get them pretty much one after another.

White bass are a lot of fun. They fight great on an ultralight.
    Thank you very much for the tips. I'll post here if I can get any white bass.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips here. I was able to catch a few nice White Bass on my first time targeting them. It was fast action with a fish every few casts when they were feeding. I was using a 3" Gulp Minnow on a jig head which seemed to be working very well when fished near the surface where the bait and schools of White Bass were.

I did not keep any of them, but are they any good eating? I have heard very mixed things about their taste.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I never tasted them myself but depending on the body of water they were caught, they would be good to eat, I would think. Clean water, clean fish, crappy water, crappy fish.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

We caught a bunch on DR one year.. we were late and missed the walleye bite so we fried some of those
    up and they were good.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

They are oily best smoked.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Seems like everyone has a bit of a different opinion on how they taste or how to cook them. I guess I'll have to try myself one time.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I make a point to keep enough for a fish fry at least once a year. they are a bit stronger then perch, but are quite good. I have also smoked them and that works too. I friend was fishing with me and kept a bunch and made fish chowder with them and gave me a big pot. That was pretty good too.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabmgb View Post
    I make a point to keep enough for a fish fry at least once a year. they are a bit stronger then perch, but are quite good. I have also smoked them and that works too. I friend was fishing with me and kept a bunch and made fish chowder with them and gave me a big pot. That was pretty good too.
    That's what I had expected. A little bit stronger than a mild fish like perch. They are certainly plentiful in some areas, so seems like a good eating fish overall. I will try one when I get another chance to fish for them.