Thread: Strange

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Strange

Had an unusual occurrence this morning. Opened a sealed box of RCBS dies i bought a few months ago, and surprise surprise. It contained one RCBS full sizing die and a partial Lee seating die. I should repeat this was a factory sealed box, purchased from a reputable dealer. Any body ever experienced this? I could see a mismatched die set of the same make, But a Lee die in a RCBS box?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

What type of seal? Possibly someone had previously bought it who need the seating die, carefully lifted the seal without breaking it, replaced the seating die, with something of equal weight i.e. the Lee crimping die, reseal it and did a return to the dealer. The dealer seeing the seal in place probably didn't give a second thought to checking the contents. Two option take it back to the dealer and see if he will make things right, or contact RCBS they may send you a seating die no charge. I once pick up a priming tool without the two spring primer inserters and they sent me both inserters for rifle and pistol cases, no charge.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Last edited by Gun Nut; June 11th, 2021 at 05:56 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    What type of seal? Possibly someone had previously bought it who need the seating die, carefully lifted the seal without breaking it, replaced the seating die, with something of equal weight i.e. the Lee crimping die, reseal it and did a return to the dealer. The dealer seeing the seal in place probably didn't give a second thought to checking the contents. Two option take it back to the dealer and see if he will make things right, or contact RCBS they may send you a seating die no charge. I once pick up a priming tool without the two spring primer inserters and they sent me both inserters for rifle and pistol cases, no charge.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    I suppose it is possible, altho the seal is a RCBS seal and appears untampered with. Like the seals on my other die sets, it would be difficult to remove unnoticed. RCBS actually replied to my email yesterday and asked a few questions, but strangely enough expressed no surprise or doubt about a Lee die winding up in a RCBS case??????? Waiting to see the outcome.