Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprise in my Venison Steak

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I have a buddy who no longer hunts but is given and helps out with geese a lot. He has a metal detector for goose breasts, you would be amazed how many pellets end up in the breast without taking down the bird and fully heal over.

He snapped a tooth at work eating goose sausage from his friend, made it past the metal detector, and through the grinder without notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I broke a chunk off my tooth my very 1st Turkey....

Went to Lee Valley and bought a metal detector. Designed to use on wood for nails but works great for scanning over the meat to find lead.

A must have !!!

The metal detector is a good idea! I hadn't thought of that before but it wouldn't add too much to the routine to give everything a once over with it when processing.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

How about the meat, is it safe to eat with a chunk of lead around it?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    I know it wasn't good for the Turkey Haha.

Considering it very HOT when it enters the meat it probably seals it and prevents any leaching. But then most guys butcher within a few hours of the kill and throw it into a freezer. So not likely an issue. .
    Last edited by MikePal; June 18th, 2021 at 02:30 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    Probably safe enough not to worry about if you ate some accidentally (or hopefully). Lead poisoning if I'm not mistaken is far more of a chronic condition, building up over time.

I cut that half of the steak away nonetheless...haha!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Nothing illegal with target shooting in most of those "270" areas, the restriction is for small game hunting only.
    I know, but this landowner doesn't hunt or target shoot, So either someone doesn't have a proper back stop or is hunting with an illegal gun. Either way he's not really happy about it, One more reason why he doesn't like letting someone on his land.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    I know, but this landowner doesn't hunt or target shoot, So either someone doesn't have a proper back stop or is hunting with an illegal gun. Either way he's not really happy about it, One more reason why he doesn't like letting someone on his land.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    Does he only bring in corn off his own property? My family had a 100 acre farm and were renting all over the place.

If the 30 cal bullet was picked up in the magnet then it it probably a FMJ steel core 7.62x39 bullet, plinking stuff.

If he had corn on any other field it would not be illegal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12