Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Hunt coyote during warm months?

  1. #1
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default Hunt coyote during warm months?

    I know best time to hunt them is during winter months when food is scarce but anybody hunt coyote during warm months say between June and October?

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
    I know best time to hunt them is during winter months when food is scarce but anybody hunt coyote during warm months say between June and October?
    It’s not so much as food being scarce, it’s the quality of the hides during cold months…
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have done a few of those as they can be called in at anytime of year. The big thing is they will have no commercial value to them at all. With that said, I usually get a call from a farmer or two over the summer after a hay or wheat cut to shoot one or two and in order to keep in good standing with them, I comply .......... but pelts and pups are not great prizes right now.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Pest destruction is the #1 reason to hunt varmint/predator year round. Posters siting pelt viability are right on the money,winter being the best time (except for the last couple of years in WMU's73,74A&B and 60,they were bad). Even if I'm just bombin' around on my ATV,I carry my V/P gear with me. You never know when you'll run into an opportunity to thin them out. Just a word of caution,though. Black Bears are well known to be attracted to Coyote calls. When hunting during the summer months,Black Bears are swift and stealthy,so,keep your head on a swivel.
    Last edited by trimmer21; July 9th, 2021 at 02:16 PM.
    Never argue on social media. Every classroom had a kid that ate paste and that's likely who you're arguing with.

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Same as others, I don't target them until winter, Pretty much after deer/waterfowl season.

    I do go help landowners if they call, But I tend to leave them alone until pelts are prime

    Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

    -Ted Nugent

  7. #6
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies and tips.

    I understand the value of the pelt and respect that as much as I do however I am more concern about helping deer populations in the area where I can as I was informed by the landowner found some deer carcass lately and some are fawns that's make me thinking about taking even one or two out may help the deers in the long run.

    Is hunting them in the warm months any difference compares to the fall / winter?

    Will be using e caller with the wind direction in my favor.

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and tips.

    I understand the value of the pelt and respect that as much as I do however I am more concern about helping deer populations in the area where I can as I was informed by the landowner found some deer carcass lately and some are fawns that's make me thinking about taking even one or two out may help the deers in the long run.

    Is hunting them in the warm months any difference compares to the fall / winter?

    Will be using e caller with the wind direction in my favor.
    Same kind of deal as they will be very curious, maybe less aggressive calling sounds (like bird sounds) would entice the younger ones more easily. Get there early, find a good vantage point, grab a seat and enjoy your surroundings.
    Best of luck
    PS. watch out for the ticks
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcamno View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and tips.

    I understand the value of the pelt and respect that as much as I do however I am more concern about helping deer populations in the area where I can as I was informed by the landowner found some deer carcass lately and some are fawns that's make me thinking about taking even one or two out may help the deers in the long run.

    Is hunting them in the warm months any difference compares to the fall / winter?

    Will be using e caller with the wind direction in my favor.
    Early morning, and evening is best. As far as thinning them out for a landowner, by all means….shoot em all !!!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

  10. #9
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Same kind of deal as they will be very curious, maybe less aggressive calling sounds (like bird sounds) would entice the younger ones more easily. Get there early, find a good vantage point, grab a seat and enjoy your surroundings.
    Best of luck
    PS. watch out for the ticks
    If you have one that only visits looks like the one I’ve seen comes around every two weeks. Would you call or might you bring in others

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    If you have one that only visits looks like the one I’ve seen comes around every two weeks. Would you call or might you bring in others
    If you got the time, get there early, sit for a while, take it all in then start calling. If one is around and you were stealth on the way in and with your setup, there is a good chance curiosity will get them to step out into the open. Wind is first, sound is secondary to wind....Wind is king.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •