Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sabot recommendations

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Sabot recommendations

After missing 2 deer last fall with a smoothbore (one w 20 Ga, one w 12 Ga.), I decided it was time to get something with a rifled barrel.
    I found a nice little light weatherproof gun thats a perfect solution for me - a synthetic stocked 20 gauge Mossberg 500 with a raised cheek piece stock, a rifled barrel with a cantelever sight rail, and 2.5x scope, plus a second vent ribbed barrel with 3 choke tubes.
    No sabot slugs were in stock where I bought it, but I have a bunch of rifled slugs on hand to start sighting it in.
    what I am looking for is recommendations from members with a similar type 20 gauge as to what the most accurate sabot slugs are to use in this gun, and maybe what typical range it will be effective out to with those loads.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I have had good success with Hornady SST sabots. Lot's of folks highly recommend Remington Accu-Tips but apparently they are hard to come by.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What range are you planning to shoot at? If you missed 2 deer last year what were your ranges? There is nothing wrong with a smoothbore within its range, yes the rifled barrel will have a longer effective rang but don't expect magnum rifle range or accuracy.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Fox, I know all that, but your reply doesn’t answer my question!

Cabelas doesn’t have any sabots listed, but Sail lists 3 for 20 gauge:
    1. Federal power shok
    2. Federal premium vital shok
    3. Winchester partition gold
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these 3?
    Last edited by genec; July 19th, 2021 at 01:06 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    What range are you planning to shoot at? If you missed 2 deer last year what were your ranges? There is nothing wrong with a smoothbore within its range, yes the rifled barrel will have a longer effective rang but don't expect magnum rifle range or accuracy.
    Why would you say that? You don't need a magnum rifle for deer.
    I have one and can vouch for its accuracy when I shoot the Remington accutips.

"The new Savage 20-gauge Model 220 F is a true bolt-action "slug rifle" that delivers minute-of-angle accuracy at 100 yards, effective range to 200 yards, and more power than either the .454 Casull handgun cartridge or the .45-70 Gov't. in a rifle. It is not just state-of-the-art, it advances the art. It gives slug gun hunters the firearm they have dreamed of for many years, and for most hunting situations in the eastern half of the nation, it makes a centerfire rifle unnecessary."

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...t_201007/99471

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hello Genec, I have the same setup, but in a woodstock and Nikon 1-4×24, it likes both Federal trophy copper and accutips ( 2in to 3in groups, 3 shots) out to 100yrds from a tripod, 2 and 3/4 in shells. I never took it for hunting.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Fox, I know all that, but your reply doesn’t answer my question!

Cabelas doesn’t have any sabots listed, but Sail lists 3 for 20 gauge:
    1. Federal power shok
    2. Federal premium vital shok
    3. Winchester partition gold
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these 3?
    Haven't tried them in 20 but in 12 gauge the Federal Power Shok are cheap and accurate in most shotguns we've tried them in. We usually start with those in most rifled barrels because of the price and stay with them often enough. Most guys that try the Winchester Partition golds through pump shotguns in my group don't seem to get consistent groups with them.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I can't speak for the sabot partition but the rifle ammo is a true winner. Sorry I wish I had more to offer but I have only used Hornady SST and have had no issues with accuracy or killing performance
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Find out what the barrel twist is for a Mossberg 500 and compare it to the Savage 220.

You might not want the 1900+fps sabots for your gun. The Hornady SST, Rem Accu tip, Federal Barnes expander are all 1900+ and they are suited for the newest rifled barrel guns.

I know my Mossberg 12guage did not like fast sabots.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You really need to test different brands of ammo. I had a bunch of Hornady and when we were siting in my Mossy I could not get any good groups I played with the scope over and over. The next day I went out and bought a box of Federal Blue, Federal Premium and Browning. I tried the Federal Blue first and dead on tried a second shot dead on, next I tried the Federal Premium and not quite as good as the Blue Box but close enough and the Browning was probably second best. So I tried the Horandy again and all over the map. This was the same for my son's gun as well. I would say buy 3 brands and find what yours likes.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast