Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sabot recommendations

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your help.
    I just found out that Sail slug ammo is in-store sale only, so thats out.
    I will just have to start by scouting out the supply at a couple more local stores and see what they have in stock.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I haven’t used the 20 gauge, but I sighted my Win 1300 12 gauge cantilever slug barrel with accutip 2 3/4 about 11 years ago and bought a lifetime supply of them too. It’s quite accurate. Funny thing is shortly thereafter I moved to an area that second season is muzzleloader only so that’s what I’m shooting now. Anyway the accutips shoot excellent in my gun and are absolutely worth a try if you can get some. I know a lot of guys who have been very pleased. The partitions never shot worth a darn for me. Federal cheapies weren’t bad from what I recall.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I once had and sold a Win 1300 rifled barrel shotgun in 20 gage.No cantilever.
    Still miss it-alas it was not used,so had to go.Savage 220 took over the job.

That gun shot 2 3/4 Win Partition Gold pretty darn good.The projectila was also an excellent design, much better then the original Partition.
    Would not shoot well in Savage 220.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

we go with acutips, last year couldnt find many so we went with remington expanders. lots of meat dmg tho.

horrady doesnt like my shotgun for some reason.

i might go this year with my smooth bore and rifled slugs. ive had enough of spending 100$ for 15-20 shells.
    until i can buy sabots in bulk im sticking with my smooth bore.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

My Mossberg 500 rifled 20 likes the 2 3/4" Hornady SSTs better than the Remington Accutips!

-N.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Fox, I know all that, but your reply doesn’t answer my question!

Cabelas doesn’t have any sabots listed, but Sail lists 3 for 20 gauge:
    1. Federal power shok
    2. Federal premium vital shok
    3. Winchester partition gold
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these 3?
    I have had no experience with the 20ga slugs but my dad has used Hornady SSTs and Browning BXS slugs in his remington 870 with great results. I have had good luck with the Hornady SST in 12ga for accuracy.

The problem right now is getting any sabot slugs, or any ammo really.

I asked what your range was because there are a few other options that may help with getting you going for the upcoming season in a lock down year.

If you were not having much luck with the basic foster slugs then I have to ask, do you have sights on that barrel or just the bead? Williams makes a sight that clamps on to the vent rib of most popular shotguns and does a great job over the basic rib. Also, if the slugs just do not group well out to 75 yards then take a look at Challenger attached wad slugs, they are available in 12ga and 20ga, they have proven to be very accurate in smoothbore barrels with improved chokes but can be shot in full choke barrels. Federal also makes a Tru-Ball slug in 12ga, not sure if they make is in 20ga, but is an attached wad slug as well.

Depending on the local shops around there are also Brenneke slugs, they are attached wad.

Essentially since we are competing with the US market we are SOL on anything that is in trend right now, off brand, odd and non-popular ammunition is what we have to make do with because it is all we can find.

I used to use the Winchester Rack Master slug when hunting in the shotgun only hunt, was accurate as heck in an improved choke smoothbore barrel out to 75 yards with the williams sights but they discontinued it. I have a stash and will use them again if I ever do the shotgun only hunt again.

Primers, powder, bullets, ammo, essentially every component, even muzzleloader stuff is being picked up by preppers, it is annoying as heck.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    Why would you say that? You don't need a magnum rifle for deer.
    I have one and can vouch for its accuracy when I shoot the Remington accutips.

"The new Savage 20-gauge Model 220 F is a true bolt-action "slug rifle" that delivers minute-of-angle accuracy at 100 yards, effective range to 200 yards, and more power than either the .454 Casull handgun cartridge or the .45-70 Gov't. in a rifle. It is not just state-of-the-art, it advances the art. It gives slug gun hunters the firearm they have dreamed of for many years, and for most hunting situations in the eastern half of the nation, it makes a centerfire rifle unnecessary."

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...t_201007/99471
    Trying to figure out what he is expecting, sabot slugs are like hens teeth right now. There is no context to the misses, just that they were misses. What grouping was he getting on range and what distance. Maybe other ideas as to how he could make due until ammunition is made available. I know a few people who love the accutip but if you cannot get them then what is the point in even discussing them.

I mention the magnum rifle because there are 2 sides of things, some people claim that a smoothbore shotgun with slugs is no good past 10 yards and then others who say that the rifled barrel slug guns can kill out past 300 yards, both are ridiculous under most normal circumstances. If the deer were missed at 150 yards with a smoothbore gun and that is his expected range then yes, find a sabot slug that works, but if the expected range is 75 yards then play with chokes, get some sights on the barrel and try a few different brands of slugs, including attached wad slugs.

Ask me how I know, I have a crap ton of partial boxes of slugs in the cabinet, most are just good for making noise now and to give that macho friend a test of recoil.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Sabots are becoming available again. Tillsonburg Gun Shop has a pretty good selection including accutips. As you can tell by the responses the only way to tell is to try box of 3 or 4 different brands and see what works in your gun. I used to use Partition Golds with really good effect but then switched to Accutips as they were a little more accurate. Currently I only hunt the woods and I've switched to the Federal blue box lead sabots. They're accurate to 100yds or so and perfect for what I need. TC

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I hear and read all the time that cheaper ammo is more accurate than the premium ammo. Case in point, from my experience, is when I bought my 700 Remington in 270 WSM. I purchased some Winchester Power Points, which are very inexpensive comparted to the premium ammo in this caliber and they shot lights out accurate.
    I then moved up to Winchester Accubond and had a hard time getting good groups so I moved to Federal Trophy Bonded and although they were a bit better they couldn't match the accuracy of the cheap Power Points. Remington Core Lokts shoot very well in my Savage 114 in 300 Win Mag....makes me scratch my head!
    I use premium ammo for the bullet construction incase I hit shoulder bones etc. but I still can't figure out why cheap ammo is almost always more accurate?
    Last edited by huntnmachine; July 20th, 2021 at 07:24 PM.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    I hear and read all the time that cheaper ammo is more accurate than the premium ammo. Case in point, from my experience, is when I bought my 700 Remington in 270 WSM. I purchased some Winchester Power Points, which are very inexpensive comparted to the premium ammo in this caliber and they shot lights out accurate.
    I then moved up to Winchester Accubond and had a hard time getting good groups so I moved to Federal Trophy Bonded and although they were a bit better they couldn't match the accuracy of the cheap Power Points. Remington Core Lokts shoot very well in my Savage 114 in 300 Win Mag....makes me scratch my head!
    I use premium ammo for the bullet construction incase I hit shoulder bones etc. but I still can't figure out why cheap ammo is almost always more accurate?
    That is the thing eh, you either find ammo that works well in your gun or start reloading to make the bullet you want accurate in your gun, not that easy to do in a rifled shotgun though.

I agree on the cheaper stuff not being taken off the table, Winchester grey box 3in steel shot patterns great in my shotgun for ducks and geese, cheap challenger ammo too but black cloud is crap.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast