Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sabot recommendations

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Got out to the range today to try the new shotgun out.
    All I had was Challenger rifled slugs, so I sighted at 50 yards.
    The final 3-shot group I fired grouped about 2” above the centre bull, and the hole spread was less than 2” for the 3 shots. I figured that was a decent group using just rifled slugs for a starting point.
    Looking forward to what groups I can get with some sabots.
    For some reason I can’t get photos to upload to this site from either my iPad or my computer, so I can’t show the target or the new gun.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'm not sure but I have been told you should not shoot rifled slugs (Non Sabots) through a rifled shotgun. My understanding is it can gum upthe rifling. But I don't know for sure.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

yes leading can be an issue, give the barrel a good scrubbing when you're done.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That is the thing eh, you either find ammo that works well in your gun or start reloading to make the bullet you want accurate in your gun, not that easy to do in a rifled shotgun though.

I agree on the cheaper stuff not being taken off the table, Winchester grey box 3in steel shot patterns great in my shotgun for ducks and geese, cheap challenger ammo too but black cloud is crap.
    Although I agree with most that you posted I disagree with the black cloud being crap. My boys and I hunt a ton of ducks every fall. I decided to purchase a flat last fall, "pressure from my boys to try premium duck loads" and they performed great. My oldest uses a Remington Versa Max, My youngest uses a Beretta and the old man uses a Weatherby, all semi auto's and they all shot lights out with Black Cloud.
    Did the cheaper shells work good...yes they did, but in this instance the premium shells worked better. Better range, better spread and better killing power.
    Sorry to the OP for getting off track
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have not tried any of the premium shells for Ducks I was thinking of trying some. What type Black Cloud did you try, they have many types I see. I was also thinking of trying Heavy Metal but that seems to be gone.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    yes leading can be an issue, give the barrel a good scrubbing when you're done.
    X2-also when switching to sabots keep in mind-after about 5-10 shots you will be better off doing a good barrel cleaning, to remove the plastic fouling.
    With appropriate cleaning solvent ,which helps remove plastics.
    Otherwise You may disregard good sabots, thinking they do not shoot well for your gun-yet Your barrel has plastic fouling.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    The final 3-shot group I fired grouped about 2” above the centre bull, and the hole spread was less than 2” for the 3 shots. I figured that was a decent group using just rifled slugs for a starting point.
    For some reason I can’t get photos to upload to this site from either my iPad or my computer, so I can’t show the target or the new gun.
    Join imgur and upload your pics there. Click on the pic and the click on bbcode and then paste in your post here. Works great and you can edit your pics as well.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I have not tried any of the premium shells for Ducks I was thinking of trying some. What type Black Cloud did you try, they have many types I see. I was also thinking of trying Heavy Metal but that seems to be gone.
    The box just said Black Cloud # 2
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    Although I agree with most that you posted I disagree with the black cloud being crap. My boys and I hunt a ton of ducks every fall. I decided to purchase a flat last fall, "pressure from my boys to try premium duck loads" and they performed great. My oldest uses a Remington Versa Max, My youngest uses a Beretta and the old man uses a Weatherby, all semi auto's and they all shot lights out with Black Cloud.
    Did the cheaper shells work good...yes they did, but in this instance the premium shells worked better. Better range, better spread and better killing power.
    Sorry to the OP for getting off track
    In my gun it is crap, ha ha, cheaper ammo tends to pattern better and if you cannot hit what you are trying to then no matter how much hype it is crap to you.

I was actually getting a bit of a doughnut pattern, was really weird, no matter the choke.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    The challengers were in a smoothbore barrel or a rifled barrel? They say they can be used in either but they can lead up the barrel. Give them a try in your smoothbore barrel with an improved choke, modified if you do not have the improved. Just give it a shot and see what it does, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast