Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sabot recommendations

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I have not tried any of the premium shells for Ducks I was thinking of trying some. What type Black Cloud did you try, they have many types I see. I was also thinking of trying Heavy Metal but that seems to be gone.
    Try Winchester Blind Side!
    I switched to it when it came out, and have been knocking geese down with it easily, with clean kills and little crippling.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

. Give them a try in your smoothbore barrel with an improved choke, modified if you do not have the improved. Just give it a shot and see what it does, you may be pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]
    Thats exactly the setup I missed 2 deer with last fall.
    I was trying them yesterday in the new gun w the rifled barrel cause they were the only slugs I had to try the gun out with.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    In my gun it is crap, ha ha, cheaper ammo tends to pattern better and if you cannot hit what you are trying to then no matter how much hype it is crap to you.

I was actually getting a bit of a doughnut pattern, was really weird, no matter the choke.
    They shoot lights out in all three of our shotguns and that's all that matters to us. We will not be using cheapies when it comes to waterfowl any more
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    . Give them a try in your smoothbore barrel with an improved choke, modified if you do not have the improved. Just give it a shot and see what it does, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    I was trying them yesterday in the new gun w the rifled barrel cause they were the only slugs I had to try the gun out with.[/QUOTE]

Crazy

How did they pattern in the smoothbore gun?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    They shoot lights out in all three of our shotguns and that's all that matters to us. We will not be using cheapies when it comes to waterfowl any more
    I have heard similar things from others, but they blow out the pattern in my 870.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I was trying them yesterday in the new gun w the rifled barrel cause they were the only slugs I had to try the gun out with.
    Crazy

How did they pattern in the smoothbore gun?[/QUOTE]
    Here is the group at 50 yards, and the gun.

01B95474-CE47-4361-AA4B-EC7A202A5879.jpgA125C569-52F3-4BAC-B3C4-AE67C28EACE5.jpeg

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This thread is enough proof that every gun is different. Buy every single brand you can afford, Clean your barrel after a few shots, Take your time and line it up right.

Sabots are expensive when ya start lining up, Do it right the first time it's actually pretty cheap when you start hunting with them, If you can hit where your aiming, Everytime.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Good point!
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    That stuff's too expensive for this guy!

I tend to shoot 4-5 flats in a waterfowl season, and have had great luck the last 5 years with the SCORE ammo. Throw a Patternmaster Long Range in there, shoot whatever's cheapest and have at 'er.

Sorry for the thread derail.

-N.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    This thread is enough proof that every gun is different. Buy every single brand you can afford, Clean your barrel after a few shots, Take your time and line it up right.

Sabots are expensive when ya start lining up, Do it right the first time it's actually pretty cheap when you start hunting with them, If you can hit where your aiming, Everytime.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    That’s the ticket.

I’ll add one thing. Wait at least five minutes between shots.. This is a must whenever a sabot is in play unless you are shooting serious sub zero temps.

Slug barrels are thin and heat up quickly. Pull a bore snake through every three shots.
    Last edited by Big Jack; July 24th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast