Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hunter orange ATV helmet requirement.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Hunter orange ATV helmet requirement.

Almost annually, the topic of the requirement for hunter orange helmet or helmet cover comes up. This issue was answered in this months Out of Doors magazine, by Dave Critchlow, MNRF Enforcement.
    Its a good read ! The nuts and bolts of the article are that if you are riding your ATV, looking for game, which you would get off the bike and shoot, you are hunting, and hunter orange helmet or helmet cover is required.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Almost annually, the topic of the requirement for hunter orange helmet or helmet cover comes up. This issue was answered in this months Out of Doors magazine, by Dave Critchlow, MNRF Enforcement.
    Its a good read ! The nuts and bolts of the article are that if you are riding your ATV, looking for game, which you would get off the bike and shoot, you are hunting, and hunter orange helmet or helmet cover is required.
    Do you have a link? Something with that doesn't quite sound right. I would like to read his interpretation because I don't think that's established case law. He might be mistaken.
    Last edited by trimmer21; July 24th, 2021 at 03:38 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Do you have a link? Something with that doesn't quite sound right. I would like to read his interpretation because I don't think that's established case law. He might be mistaken.
    No link, it’s in the magazine. It goes to what I’ve said all along. Maybe someone with a digital edition can supply a link…
    Last edited by rick_iles; July 24th, 2021 at 03:44 PM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Well if you look at the definition of hunting, searching, laying in wait, and a bunch of other things, driving around with a weapon to complete the act, that's hunting. We have always worn either an orange helmet cover or orange helmet. Rather than taking the helmet off to change to an orange hat or toque, you're already good.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I read that in the magazine. Now did i read it right a reg colour helmet over hunter orange hat was legal

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've never worn an orange helmet simply because there's no helmet on the market that match color swatches carried by CO's. I get off my ATV,switch my helmet for an orange cap before starting to hunt. That's not an offense and where I think Mr.Chritchlow might have erred in his answer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well what if I leave the ATV in the back of my Truck and then go get it to retrieve the deer I shot? Technically I am not hunting.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Some people drive a truck or car to their stand or hunting area, do they wear an orange hat while driving?

I always wear my orange but at some point they need to use a bit of sense and consider the purpose of the law. Non hunting ATV riders can wear whatever they like during hunting season.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I always understood when your unloaded gun is in cased your not hunting ? Same for crossbow

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast