Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old hunter rules

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 15 year old hunter rules

Hello everyone, I'm trying to figure out the new regulations around hunters that are now 15 years old. More specifically, around the rules in regards to moose hunting. My son turned 15 last month, completed the one stop hunting/firearm course when he was 12 so If I'm correct in reading he is no longer considered an apprentice hunter now at 15?
    So, for moose hunting it says he can't enter the moose draw but does he need to have his own moose license if he is tagging along with me and my bull tag?
    If so, can he have his own firearm if he buys a moose license or are we still required to share a firearm?
    The regs are vague about 15 year old hunters now IMO and this will be his first moose hunt so I'm just looking for clarification on what he will need.
    Thanks to all for any information.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A buddy is going through this with his grand daughter. He says, at 15, they can have their own hunting licence. They can’t yet enter a draw. They can have a minors permit to possess a firearm, so they can have their own gun. They still have to be with a licenced (firearms) hunter, for supervision. So, he buys a moose licence, in order to hunt moose. It wouldn’t hurt to check this out to make sure !!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Rick, will call the MNR and see what they say.
    Cheers

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    A buddy is going through this with his grand daughter. He says, at 15, they can have their own hunting licence. They can’t yet enter a draw. They can have a minors permit to possess a firearm, so they can have their own gun. They still have to be with a licenced (firearms) hunter, for supervision. So, he buys a moose licence, in order to hunt moose. It wouldn’t hurt to check this out to make sure !!
    Hi Rick, I have a slightly different take on this.

To hunt in Ontario as a resident, you must:

- be at least 16 years old (or 15 with written parental consent)
    - have successfully taken the Ontario Hunter Education Program (or an Ontario-
    recognized equivalent accrediation)
    - follow all federal firearm regulations and carry appropriate documentation with you if
    you are hunting with a gun
    - have a valid hunting version Outdoors Card
    - have the required hunting licences(s) and tag(s) for the game you wish to hunt

Ontario residents who are 12 to 14 years old are eligible to participate in Ontario’s Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program to safely develop their hunting skills while under the direct and immediate supervision of a qualified and licenced mentor.

I couldn’t find anything that said licenced 15 year olds could not enter draws.

The Federal Minors licence is required until the youth turns 18. Licenced Minor can hunt on their own e.g. without direct adult supervision. Un-Licenced Minors can use firearms under the direct supervision of a Licenced individual.
    A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Hi Rick, I have a slightly different take on this.

To hunt in Ontario as a resident, you must:

- be at least 16 years old (or 15 with written parental consent)
    - have successfully taken the Ontario Hunter Education Program (or an Ontario-
    recognized equivalent accrediation)
    - follow all federal firearm regulations and carry appropriate documentation with you if
    you are hunting with a gun
    - have a valid hunting version Outdoors Card
    - have the required hunting licences(s) and tag(s) for the game you wish to hunt

Ontario residents who are 12 to 14 years old are eligible to participate in Ontario’s Hunter Apprenticeship Safety Program to safely develop their hunting skills while under the direct and immediate supervision of a qualified and licenced mentor.

I couldn’t find anything that said licenced 15 year olds could not enter draws.

The Federal Minors licence is required until the youth turns 18. Licenced Minor can hunt on their own e.g. without direct adult supervision. Un-Licenced Minors can use firearms under the direct supervision of a Licenced individual.
    I think the Apprentice hunter is no longer there. My info is from my buddy, who is dealing with the issue now. I haven’t had the need to research it further. I know we got checked during the winter coyote hunting, and the CO said the Apprentice program was changed. Maybe it’s just a controlled hunt draw they can’t apply for…..
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Apprentice

User Info Menu

We've had an apprentice hunter in our group the last few years, think he may be 16 now, but as an apprentice he couldn't apply in the moose draw but once he turned 15 he way able to.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

We've had an apprentice hunter in our group the last few years, think he may be 16 now, but as an apprentice he couldn't apply in the moose draw but once he turned 15 he way able to.
    From the regs;
    You can apply to the moose tag allocation process if you:

are an Ontario resident
    have hunter accreditation on file
    have a valid Outdoors Card
    are at least 15 years old
    You are not allowed to apply to the moose tag allocation process if you are:

an apprentice hunter (12-14 year-old resident hunter)
    a non-resident of Ontario. Non-residents can only acquire their own tag to hunt moose by purchasing a hunt from a tourist outfitter.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They can apply for a draw at 15, they can have their own hunting license, but their apprentice license does not just translate to a hunting license, you have to go and get an actual license for them now. To use a gun they will need a minors permit, these have rules on them, I believe as the parent you can ask to have the rules set so that they do not need to be in immediate supervision of a person with a license. A minors permit is also not a PAL, so once they turn 18 then they have to go back and apply for a PAL.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Outdoorzman, the last 2 posts cover it all correctly for you.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Outdoorzman, the last 2 posts cover it all correctly for you.
    Has the MNRF scrapped the apprentice program ?
    -Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast