Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Met the OPP yesterday...

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Met the OPP yesterday...

Hey Everyone,

Got out on Canal lake in the Kawarthas for a couple of hours of fishing (got skunked), and then when we were coming back in, the OPP were just launching their boat at the ramp. The Officer came over and was asking the usual questions, and I checked most of the list of needed equipment off, except for the on - board fire extinguisher that you need when your boat has a fixed gas tank under the floorboards. They luckily let me off with a warning, but I just wanted to remind others that they need one, in case they hadn't kept up with the regulations like me.
    Also, they were saying that a lot of the new boat owners buying boats for the first time, don't bother to register them and that has been a big problem for the OPP when finding boats washed up on shore. Overall, I was happy to see them on the water, second time ever I have seen them in the Kawarthas in over 25 years of boating on these lakes.
    Tight lines for everyone, since I cant seem to catch one lol

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They find boats washed up often???? Don't people tie them up?

I was out Camping near Espanola and my son and I went back to the landing because I needed another 2 packs of smokes. When we got there I right away noticed the CO truck. Then I spotted him talking to another boat.

As soon as he was done talking to the other people I walked to him and showed him my license, didn't ask for boat thank goodness as my card is worn out. He did ask if I had the boat safety kit and I did brand new still in the wrapper, he didn't bother to open it. We chatted a bit he went to SSFC and graduated 2 years before I began. He asked if I got any fish which I got one and showed him it.

Nice guy.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Elite Member

User Info Menu

for your safety kit, if you have a flash light make sure the batteries are good they get a few people that way.
    Never resent growing old, Many do not get the chance.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

As for flashlight don't forget your cell has one just in case

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lazyman View Post
    As for flashlight don't forget your cell has one just in case
    Only if it’s waterproof !
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

A friend of mine got checked on the Grand River and the police said a cell phone wasn't good enough

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Only if it’s waterproof !
    Doesn't it have to float too? I could be wrong....

S/.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes flashlight has to float. I just buy the cheap safety kit from Canadian Tire 9.99
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Leads by example

User Info Menu

and don't forget that the fire extinguisher has to have a current inspection date. never boat without one, as I had a fire once and needed it to put the engine fire out. Oh and the correct class as well.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Waterproof floating flashlight,signaling device (whistle,horn),floating heaving line (we can make our own),oars or paddles,bailing device (pump or can),navigation lights when on water one half hour BEFORE official sunset and one half hour AFTER official sunrise or bad weather,properly fitting PFD's for everyone on board,fire extinguisher when equipped with in board fuel tank,2" high registration numbers on both sides of hull,Operator's competency certificate AND Transport Canada vessel registration sheet (available to download free from TC website) and last but not least,your Outdoors Card with fishing license attached unless you're a senior over 65,but,an Outdoors Card is still required. Show up on the water without any one of these items and you're getting a ticket. All this just to go fishin' or a boat ride. Our grandparents would be rolling over in their graves except that all the safety gear could save your life..
    Last edited by trimmer21; August 8th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast