Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baiting for Deer

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Baiting for Deer

How early do you start baiting for Deer?

My trees are so loaded with apples that the branches are breaking and apples are already falling on the ground, same with the pears.

Since I intend to bow hunt is it to soon to being putting out apples and pears? Hate to see them go to waste.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    How early do you start baiting for Deer?

My trees are so loaded with apples that the branches are breaking and apples are already falling on the ground, same with the pears.

Since I intend to bow hunt is it to soon to being putting out apples and pears? Hate to see them go to waste.
    Freeze them……once you put them out frozen and they thaw, deer live them….
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hate to see them go to waste.
    Bag them up ( throw out the bad ones first) put them in the root cellar.. They last a few months. )

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If your on private property it’s feeding your intended deer. Keep them happy and at home no need to dump out bushels of apples yet. But if you can keep them coming to your sight looking for goodies it will pay

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    i see the same thing where we are. seems like they hit the frozen potatoes more than when its warmer out. or it could just be because they know the potatoes are there and its a easy food source in the winter for them.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I believe i read somewhere that freezing and thawing does something to the starch structure and makes things more palatable. I know this is true for turnips in the food plot but not positive about apples.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yeah Mikepal I have tried storing apples by I don't have a cool enough area. I will try freezing them and see what happens hopefully my Hunting Buddy has room in his freezer as mine is almost full. I really should have bought a bigger one. Once I put in the vegetables for the fall and some the 1/4 beef I am buying not really sure where I will put a deer and any geese we shoot.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No can't hunt my property I only have an acre. I hunt crown about 40 km from my house. We bait 4 stands.

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    If your on private property it’s feeding your intended deer. Keep them happy and at home no need to dump out bushels of apples yet. But if you can keep them coming to your sight looking for goodies it will pay

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have a few trees I get apples from, some starting late August. I will throw a bucket of them out starting then if I am making a trip to the camp for whatever reason starting early, it keeps the does and fawns in a pattern of going through the area and might help draw in bucks, who knows. I figure it doesn't hurt anyway and gives me more pics for the cams, as well as a reason to be out in the bush.
    John

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Freezing the apples should be good. I know freezing pumpkins makes them sweeter, perhaps the same is true for apples. I may try it myself........................Daniel
    It's not the mountain ahead that wears you out, it's the grain of sand in yer shoe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast