Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What broad head for Deer

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I am a fan of fixed blade for everything. Tried mechanicals maybe 15 years ago and not impressed. Things may have improved since than but I will stick to simple and effective. Less moving parts the better imo. Regarding deflection though fixed heads are not immune. I took a 6 pt buck a few years ago and entry was text book boiler room. Exit however was on the same side just in front of the pelvis. Kill enough things and all manner of @#$_ happens even on text book ethical shots.
    Exactly the way I think

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

huntmachine, I'm curious to find out your results with the trail blazers if you ended up using them? I have the micro 335 and a matrix 380 and wouldn't mine mechanicals if they are better then fixed. I have heard from others that they will open easier as in a small weed where the fixed would just cut through it. I do try to makes sure there are no weeds in the way but you never know.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The trail blazers shoot has good as the bolt cutters but I have no on game experience with either one. I do like the extra cutting diameter of the trail blazers and plan to use them black bear hunting in Sept.
    I am still planning on using the bolt cutters moose hunting for the durability of a fixed but they have a very small cut
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Is there any real difference between the Bolt Cutter and the Wasp SST broadheads?
    Other then the Wasp is 2/16 larger in DIA.
    I am using Wasp forever......and always wondering ,other then the brand and perhaps the hype-what is the big difference?
    Not hijacking....just asking, since we talk Boltcutters too

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

most modern broadheads are pretty good. saying that there's quite a few popular brands out there that aren't even close to sharp out of the package.
    I still shoot Slicktricks and have for about 13 years now and everyone gets stropped before they hit my quiver

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I am a fan of fixed blade for everything. Tried mechanicals maybe 15 years ago and not impressed. Things may have improved since than but I will stick to simple and effective. Less moving parts the better imo. Regarding deflection though fixed heads are not immune. I took a 6 pt buck a few years ago and entry was text book boiler room. Exit however was on the same side just in front of the pelvis. Kill enough things and all manner of @#$_ happens even on text book ethical shots.
    I took your advice and bought a couple of packages of G5 Striker V2 125 grain crossbow broadheads today. Going to sight them in next week.
    They are quality made and man are they sharp. Looking forward to some on game experience but I have no doubt they will perform

OFAH and CCFR member

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    How was the on game results with the bolt cutters?
    I have had great luck with them. Two big mature bucks, both piled up within 50 yards. More then enough blood.
    Last edited by brent; September 3rd, 2022 at 08:50 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Good to know....thanks

OFAH and CCFR member

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I've used both the bolt cutters and montecs. I am partial to the 125gr though.
    Another vote for the Bolt Cutters. I use the 150gr on my Micro 340 and have had fantastic results. Even clipping a shoulder the bolt cutter held together with only a slight bend in the tip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345