Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What broad head for Deer

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I've used both the bolt cutters and montecs. I am partial to the 125gr though.
    How was the on game results with the bolt cutters?
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My instruction book says to use 100 grain so that is what we have sited in with. I would probably be better to stick with 100 grain broadheads.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    My instruction book says to use 100 grain so that is what we have sited in with. I would probably be better to stick with 100 grain broadheads.
    Nothing wrong with that. My Excalibur micro also requires a minimum of 100 grains but I shoot 125 grains because that's what I had from my other setup. I shoot grim reaper xbow razortip mechanical broadhead. My understanding is the extra weight up front delivers a harder blow.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I used slick tricks and muzzy mx4 and muzzy get the nod for being way cheaper. I shoot 315 Excalibur crossbow and Mathews reezen compound bow. hope this helps

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    How was the on game results with the bolt cutters?
    I only shot two deer with them. Both deer died within 50 yards. One was a double lung that went through a rib exiting, the second was a misplaced shot - too far forward - but cut through all the veins/arteries where they leave the chest cavity ahead of the sternum. That left the most impressive blood trail I've seen.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    I used slick tricks and muzzy mx4 and muzzy get the nod for being way cheaper. I shoot 315 Excalibur crossbow and Mathews reezen compound bow. hope this helps
    thanks for reminder all. I just picked up some mx4s after my expandable nightmare last season. time to shoot some at some bags boys!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I use 125, Spitfire mechanicals with good success. I find they fly the same as target points…
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

SO I see many of you use 125 grain.
    Why 125 gr?

Also I guess one of the first things I really should have asked is what do you look for in a broad head for deer and why.
    Why did you choose what you are buying.

Do you also have to treat broad heads like ammo and try different brands or since the ranges are quite short most will work.?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

1. I use the 125 gr because my excal calls for that number.....
    2. I use the slick tricks because of the good reviews (they have worked well for me)
    3. Most modern broadheads will work and probably group well 30 yds or less....
    It comes down to confidence and shot placement...
    Use the broadhead weight your bow is recommending, practice with a broadhead you are comfortable with. Zero it in, then when you go hunting swap it out for one of your brand new ones.

You need to hit a small pie plate from 30 yds to be good, Mind you most modern crossbows will shoot much better than that.
    Shot placement is key.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast