Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What broad head for Deer

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    SO I see many of you use 125 grain.
    Why 125 gr?

Also I guess one of the first things I really should have asked is what do you look for in a broad head for deer and why.
    Why did you choose what you are buying.

Do you also have to treat broad heads like ammo and try different brands or since the ranges are quite short most will work.?
    Using a 125 grain vs 100 grain head on a crossbow bolt modestly increases the Front of Center (FOC). At typical crossbow ranges of 15 to 40 yards this improves accuracy. A heavier setup is also less susceptible to wind drift. Heavier setup is also a little more forgiving if you hit bone.

In terms of how i selected my 125 grain broadhead i like one that is completely monolithic with fixed blades. By this i mean completely machined from one piece of steel. Most fixed blades are attached to the shaft of the broadhead by some type of mechanical means. A monolithic broadhead will always be stronger than one comprised of several connected pieces. There are pros to having the broadhead constructed in pieces however in that a damaged blade can easily be replaced.

When all is said and done though these are deer we are talking about not grizzly bears and a 100, 125, or 150 grain broadhead of just about any design will work fine if you can accurately hit the vitals.

Going up a step to 150 grain heads basically ups every benefit except it further reduces bolt speed. The reduced bolt speed may increase the probability of deer jumping the string at longer ranges. So in the big picture i chose the 125s. Decent benefits and not too much compromise on bolt speed.

As far as whether your bow will like one brand over another should not really be an issue. At most you may have to adjust your scope when moving between brands but ultimately once the scope is adjusted to any decent quality brand the heads from that brand should group consistently. You are more likely to have issues with the shafts causing grouping issues from one shot to the next. I test every shaft that i intend to hunt with using a designated target broadhead that is identical to my hunting broadhead. Once happy with the performance the target broadhead gets removed and the hunting broadhead goes on and than i take one target shot with the hunting broadhead to confirm zero. That head than stays on that shaft until i kill something with it.
    Last edited by Species8472; August 31st, 2021 at 09:30 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I use rage hypodermic crossbow for deer and moose out of my ghost 420. Never an issue and it has been a very quick and easy track everytime.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Most of the complaints (from what I have read) regarding the bolt cutters are the lack of blood trail. They are very narrow but so are most fixed heads, I just wonder why other manufactures fixed heads don't have the same issue according to the reviews I have read.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I ended up deciding on Rage crossbow X treme 125 grainers for my bear hunt tomorrow. The practice tip was very close to the actual broadhead.
    Once I got the practice head zeroed I shot one of the real heads and it was pretty much dead on. The only complaint was the shock collar was toast on the real head after going thru the target.

I will look into buying some shock collars so that I can use the sacrificial head to check zero each year.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    As long they fly true those are more than adequate for deer. Deer are thin skinned and light boned and as long as the crossbow shoots accurate they are easy to kill.

Myself i am partial to these:

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/23122...ariantId=82585

Not for any particular reason other than they have always worked and have literally put many 1000s of pounds of venison in the freezer along with the odd bear. The ones you posted look fine though and like i said if they are accurate they will work.
    I just ordered some of these to try out with my compound. Your endorsement has me curious and they look to be a decent product. Hopefully I get them with enough time to test shoot and use them this season.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntnmachine View Post
    I ended up deciding on Rage crossbow X treme 125 grainers for my bear hunt tomorrow. The practice tip was very close to the actual broadhead.
    Once I got the practice head zeroed I shot one of the real heads and it was pretty much dead on. The only complaint was the shock collar was toast on the real head after going thru the target.

I will look into buying some shock collars so that I can use the sacrificial head to check zero each year.
    My experience with bolt cutters all shot thru screen and pass through the deer 42yd was my longest shot that buck just fell over on it’s side
    but then I think bucks just give up where doe’s have something extra ticking in them

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What grain did you order?

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    I just ordered some of these to try out with my compound. Your endorsement has me curious and they look to be a decent product. Hopefully I get them with enough time to test shoot and use them this season.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I ordered 100 grain, but my arrows also have a brass insert to bring up the tip weight.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

can't argue the price ! can find 6 of em for around 35 bucks on ebay. we had shot a moose during gun season that had been hit a week or 2 previous with expandable and basically fell apart on impact and left a abcess on the moose. i like less chance of error

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

250gr RMS Cutthroat single bevels for me this fall. As the ranch fairy would say... "Adult Broadheads"

https://rmsgear.com/products/cutthroat-screw-in
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast