Thread: Early migration or just happy coincidence?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default Early migration or just happy coincidence?

Been reading some reports on anther form that woodcock seem to be showning up in areas earlier than normal.
    With the cooler mornings now got the dogs out in the hydro corridor to get them in shape for the upcomming season. Was suprised to put up a woodcock. Although during the height of the migration a few still stop over can't recall seeing one this early before.
    Thoughts?
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I don't understand what your trying to conclude? Is it the fact that you saw a woodcock where you only see them during the migration? Woodcock are known to fly to open areas to feed ie. Farmers fields, hydro corridors, etc and then fly back in the bush.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Some of the areas I’m use to seeing them are very dry. The ground is hard as rock. I guess this lack of regular rainfall might have them moving to other areas for food. Just my guess.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by huntervinni View Post
    I don't understand what your trying to conclude? Is it the fact that you saw a woodcock where you only see them during the migration? Woodcock are known to fly to open areas to feed ie. Farmers fields, hydro corridors, etc and then fly back in the bush.
    Just musing. In our local just don't see woodcock during the summer months. Finding one this morning is quite an unusual seasonal occurance. As others are wondering is it an indication of an early migration or an odd bird on the move.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Very likely a local bird.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Can't speak to the one you saw, but if others report seeing them early it's possible this years drought is pushing them around a bit. Michigan and our part of the province had rain. Northwest Ontario and Minnesota did not.