Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Ontario prepares to launch digital ID program and here's how it works

  1. #1
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default Ontario prepares to launch digital ID program and here's how it works

    Not sure how this will work when down in the US if you don't have a physical License.

    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-p...orks-1.5577757

    TORONTO -- Ontario is preparing to launch a digital identification program in the coming months, meaning people will no longer need to carry a physical driverís licence or health card.
    According to the government, Ontario's digital identification program is scheduled to launch in late 2021.
    On Wednesday, the province unveiled more information about the program, saying it will be a "convenient and easy identification solution" for Ontarians.
    HOW DOES IT WORK?

    Ontarians will be able to have an electronic version of their trusted government ID Ė like driver's licences and health cards Ė which the government says is more safe and secure.
    Your ID will be stored in a digital wallet app, which will be available for download onto smartphones and other devices like tablets and laptops.

    The digital ID will allow people and businesses prove who they are both online and in person.
    According to the government, the digital ID will offer more privacy to users.
    "For example, if you need to show you are age of majority, the verifier will only know you are over 18, not your date of birth or actual age," the government says.
    The digital ID is not stored in a central database and is only saved on your own personal mobile device, which can be turned off remotely if stolen.

    The government says digital ID is not a tracking device and it will not keep track of where you've used your ID.
    WHERE CAN YOU USE IT?

    Ontarians will be able to use their digital ID in a wide range of locations.
    The government says "it will take years to unlock the full potential of digital ID" but has provided a list of where people can use it when the program launches.
    Some of the settings include:

    • Making an age-sensitive purchase (like a lottery ticket)
    • Picking up a package at the post office
    • Apply for government assistance (such as disability support) or benefits (such as CERB or EI)
    • Access and use vaccination records
    • Open a bank account
    • Make a medical appointment
    • Visit a doctor
    • Access medical records online
    • Get, renew or replace a driverís licence
    • Apply for, renew or replace a health card
    • Renew or replace a licence plate sticker

    As a business, the digital ID can be used for:

    • Hiring new employees
    • Proving business identity or verify those of other businesses
    • Open business accounts
    • Apply for loans, grants, tax credits
    • Verify customers' identity

    Click here for a more extensive list of where a digital ID can be used.
    HOW DO YOU GET A DIGITAL ID?

    The government has not yet launched the digital ID program.
    When it does become available, people will download the Ontario digital wallet app to their mobile device or computer.
    They will then sign up for the program and verify their ID either online or in person.
    Users will then be able to add ID cards to their digital wallet and it will be ready for use.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Uh huh sounds safe to me

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    You first GW......lol

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I don't even bank online, my reason for not banking online is it would take me all of 30 minutes to write some code to make a crude but workable program to get your information the only hard part is to get it on a person PC but the number of people out there that will click on an exe is still very high.

    Remember people skimming credit banks cards, that wasn't hard to do either you could buy everything you needed at most electronic stores.

    I once wrote a simple little app that was made as a test to take control of a Android smart phone control the camera and everything. Not hard to do at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by impact View Post
    You first GW......lol

  6. #5
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    "The system does not know where you have been"


    That's an empty promise. In order to verify the id, scanner devices will have ask in some kinda centralized verification system over the internet.
    Sources of these inquiries can be easily stored and correlated to a physical address.

  7. #6
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default


  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    It's easy to set it up, but it wouldn't belong before another programmer reversed engineered it and find out the government was collecting information. But at the same time there are lot's of apps collecting information already. Do you have an email account? If your logged in your information is being used. Do you use any app on your phone, Facebook all your data and movements are being tracked.

    Quote Originally Posted by tamtam987 View Post
    "The system does not know where you have been"


    That's an empty promise. In order to verify the id, scanner devices will have ask in some kinda centralized verification system over the internet.
    Sources of these inquiries can be easily stored and correlated to a physical address.

  9. #8
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    It's easy to set it up, but it wouldn't belong before another programmer reversed engineered it and find out the government was collecting information. But at the same time there are lot's of apps collecting information already. Do you have an email account? If your logged in your information is being used. Do you use any app on your phone, Facebook all your data and movements are being tracked.
    Am I understanding correctly that you are a proponent of such government system ?
    Last edited by tamtam987; September 8th, 2021 at 07:43 PM.

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Well I don't use Facebook and don't have a Facebook account I belong to only two forums GunNutz and OOD. I don't online bank.
    So I guess you could say No to your answer. From what I see currently it will be an option and since it most likely won't be of any use outside of Ontario, no I will not be using it.

    But as I said most people their information is already be collected and they probably don't even know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tamtam987 View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that are you a proponent of such government system ?

  11. #10
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Well I don't use Facebook and don't have a Facebook account I belong to only two forums GunNutz and OOD. I don't online bank.
    So I guess you could say No to your answer. From what I see currently it will be an option and since it most likely won't be of any use outside of Ontario, no I will not be using it.

    But as I said most people their information is already be collected and they probably don't even know it.
    I agree we the you about the current collection..
    However, there is a slight difference though:
    In case of private companies collecting the info the data more or less is de-centralized and a choice by user(ie not using Facebook at all)

    Collecting such info by government is who is making this mandatory and forcing it to residents is a different matter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •