Thread: Any tips for my fall bear hunt?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Any tips for my fall bear hunt?

This might be a long read. This year has been the most challenging year for bear. Our honey hole in 49 had zero hits after 3 weeks which has never happened in 10 years. We had 7 bears on that bait last fall. ​Also zero hits in Temagami after over 3 weeks with tons of bait. Out of 11 baits total we've had 2 hits on 1/4 baits in 55A but it only seems like one bear that comes once a week.

We put this particular bait on Aug 26th. We came back to check on Sept 2nd and it was hit. We hunted for 3 nights and saw nothing with zero hits. We came back on Sept 12th and it was hit again. We hunted 2 nights and saw nothing with no more hits.
    Screenshot_20210914_233655.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914_233748.jpg
    We have 3 other baits 3km south on the same road spread out 1km from eachother that've been there since Aug 21st with zero hits. So it seems to me like one large boar with a big territory. We left a trail cam on this bait and placed 4 others in different areas. We're coming back up this weekend. If there's no hit should we hunt? Any tips?

As for methods we use muffins, sardines, and vanilla extract plus a jar of vanilla extract soaked toilet paper roll hanging 8ft above the bait. Plus whatever fish or food scraps we scrounge up.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Acorn season ....

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    This might be a long read. This year has been the most challenging year for bear. Our honey hole in 49 had zero hits after 3 weeks which has never happened in 10 years. We had 7 bears on that bait last fall. ​Also zero hits in Temagami after over 3 weeks with tons of bait. Out of 11 baits total we've had 2 hits on 1/4 baits in 55A but it only seems like one bear that comes once a week.

We put this particular bait on Aug 26th. We came back to check on Sept 2nd and it was hit. We hunted for 3 nights and saw nothing with zero hits. We came back on Sept 12th and it was hit again. We hunted 2 nights and saw nothing with no more hits.
    We have 3 other baits 3km south on the same road spread out 1km from eachother that've been there since Aug 21st with zero hits. So it seems to me like one large boar with a big territory. We left a trail cam on this bait and placed 4 others in different areas. We're coming back up this weekend. If there's no hit should we hunt? Any tips?

As for methods we use muffins, sardines, and vanilla extract plus a jar of vanilla extract soaked toilet paper roll hanging 8ft above the bait. Plus whatever fish or food scraps we scrounge up.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post

We're seeing very few bears this fall in 49. Two yearlings and one larger bear, but the larger one was only seen once.

Odd because we usually are overrun with bears about this time of year.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rali View Post
    We're seeing very few bears this fall in 49. Two yearlings and one larger bear, but the larger one was only seen once.

Odd because we usually are overrun with bears about this time of year.
    In 49 I always reliably filled bear tags. This'll be the first time in 10 years where I went a season without a bait hit there. Some good news though! Two new baits and two new hits. I am hopeful for tomorrow's sit.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt